Thursday, April 07, 2005

So much for the reputation built in a quarter of a century as an investigative reporter. As my South Middle School Journalism Club met after school Tuesday, we were blissfully unaware that, outside the doors of the school, PETA protesters, including a giant yellow chicken, were bringing their animal rights agenda to Joplin.
While my students were pounding out stories on the upcoming MAP tests, the students of the week, and the vocal and instrumental competitions of the last couple of days, the news was happening on the sidewalk right outside of the school building.
To be honest with you, I'm not too upset about missing this one.
I'll be back in a second. I have a sudden urge for a chicken sandwich.
***
All right. Now that I have the cheap joke behind me (for some reason I suddenly realize why my former fiancee always had to enter a room a few feet in front of me), I should mention that I just watched the television coverage of the PETA protest on KSNF and KOAM. I'm not sorry I missed the protest.
***
In its 10 p.m. newscast, KOAM broke the story that three forgery charges and two felony stealing charges have been filed against former Southwest City Clerk Ladonna Shields. As you remember, her alleged misdeeds were uncovered in a recent audit by State Auditor Claire McCaskill. I am sure the Joplin Globe's John Hacker will be all over this story.

No comments: