Friday, March 04, 2011

In his weekly EC from DC report, Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo. attacks the lack of civility in politics, including recent examples from some who are on Cleaver's side:

As many of you know, last Sunday I appeared on the long-running news show, “Meet the Press.” At one point during the show, David Gregory, the show’s host, pointed out video of protesters in Madison, Wisconsin carrying some despicable signs about Governor Scott Walker. I immediately, on air, condemned what I saw.

For those of you who did not watch the show, one sign read “Midwest Mussolini” and another read “Scott Walker = Adolf Hitler.” Still another read “1933 Hitler Abolished Unions! Look it up!” It made me sick. A worthy and necessary challenge to union-busting tactics was tarnished. When will we learn that all nastiness, whether promoted by Republicans or Democrats, creates a stench around a cause or campaign?

Further, it is shameful for elected officials to dance around questions when asked about inappropriate or revolting political commentary, or protest signs that attack the humanity of those with whom they have a sociopolitical disagreement. Look, neither Governor Walker nor President Obama was born outside the United States and neither is Hitler incarnate. Hopefully, more leaders will suppress ideology and say so. There are legitimate arguments and disagreements happening in Wisconsin and state capitals across the country. These last few weeks, I have laid out many points in support of the protesters’ position in this newsletter. We can have those discussions, even passionately, without resorting to name calling. I have tried to be out front to call for civility on both sides, and I was very glad Mr. Gregory gave me an opportunity to direct criticism at a group I am sympathetic towards. I am just sorry I had to do it.

No comments: