Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Paul Richardson: A familiar face

From my perspective it was just a few years ago when a sitcom was airing featuring an intro song stating, “Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name.”

Our current “stay at home” situation has confirmed that everyone desires that. 

Prior to our return to the area in ’83, I had told the good wife that I really wanted to return to a region where people knew me. I wasn’t deluded into believing that everyone knew my name, but I knew a reasonable number of people and some of them were people of influence, who in turn would connect me with others that would assist us in beneficial ways.

The recent “stay at home” policies have revealed our underlying social anxieties. Many of us want to go where everybody knows our name and be a part of that group, that crowd gathered for the sole purpose of just socializing. 








By nature, I am somewhat of a recluse, but there is a limit to even that. If I had pursued the solitary existence at an earlier age, I think I could have been quite successful. However, the good wife has been quite the social butterfly, dragging me to all sorts of soirees. For all those folks from my region that is pronounced, “swah-RAY” and around here is not nearly as formal as described by definitions.

I don’t really care what the gathering is. Just as long as there are people, uninfected people, conversation, well, let’s include something to drink and while we are at it, food. Yes, food, I would like a gathering including food and music and where hugging is allowed. 

Not that I am wanting to hug anyone in particular, but I would like to see people hugging. I’m not wanting to watch any weird stuff, but seeing people make contact without reservation or concern would be great.

I know that this isn’t the zombie apocalypse (heaven forbid since we weren’t even prepared for this), but the avoidance has advanced to that level with some people and perhaps, rightfully so. 

As I heard one doctor referencing the Swedish approach, “Their plan may be the right plan, we will only be able to determine that after this is said and done.” (The Swedish plan did not include any shutdown.) That is a paraphrase, but the meaning is intact. 

I am not trying to lead anyone down some path lined with flowers and butterflies but simply stating what I am missing at the moment. Don’t misread this as a validation to just ignore social distancing, or washing your hands, or avoiding sick people. We can’t ignore this contagion, but “brilliant” minds are giving directions in every direction; but are they really brilliant minds or just voices of influence? We need to develop a plan that will let us live and function while avoiding infection.

In the meantime, I simply want to walk into a familiar place and hear a greeting from everyone who knows my name. Slap them on the back and feel comfortable when hugs are exchanged.
(Paul Richardson's column, The Horse I Rode In On, is published weekly in the Neosho Daily News, Seneca News-Dispatch, Aurora Advertiser and on the Turner Report.)

No comments: