Saturday, May 30, 2020

Jasper Police Chief: I'm not a racist

A Facebook post, since removed, from his personal page, in which Jasper Police Chief Chad Karr appeared to be defending the policing methods used by former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin that resulted in the death of George Floyd, has resulted in Karr taking the unusual step of posting another status update to say he is not a racist.

"Ok, so my phone has been blowing up the last couple days about folks posting about me and calling me racist over a post I made a couple night ago in reference to the George Floyd.

"It was taken out of context by some I believe, that was on me for maybe not explaining well enough what I was trying to say. I can tell you that in no way, shape or form was I condoning or supporting what the officer did nor do I believe it was acceptable."







In his original Facebook post, Karr said that in the video "what the officer is doing is something that I've done and seen officers doing while fighting a combative subject.

"I'm gonna go ahead and say what the officer did DIDN'T kill this person directly."

Karr said that Chauvin's methods were not unusual and are taught here locally.

"What the officer is doing is actually taught in our local academy. I don't know of the exact circumstances of this particular incident, but do not be shocked and riot if these officers are proven not to be at fault.

"And for anybody making it a racial issue ... completely bogus. That man could be whatever color you wanna make him, it'd be the same result."

Karr added, "And it really make me wonder why some folks are so quick to jump on the 'racist cops killed this man solely because he's black' bandwagon ... Maybe a lil' guilt.

After Karr posted his view on the incident that led to the George Floyd's death, the post went viral locally and as Karr noted in his later clarification featured many comments that were highly critical.

Karr's complete response to the social media eruption that took place after his initial comments is printed below:

Ok... So my phone has been blowing up the last couple days about folks posting about me and calling me racist over a post i made a couple nights ago in reference to the George Floyd.

It was taken out of context by some I believe, that was on me for maybe not explaining well enough what I was trying to say. I can tell you that in no way shape or form was I condoning or supporting what the officer did nor do i believe it was acceptable.









When i posted, the story had just broke and there wasn’t much information out yet, and i believe it was just bits and pieces of the video. I try not to engage too much in these kinds of things because to be honest, it’s a lose/lose situation. Then the posts started popping up about killing cops and the picture of the officer kneeling on Floyd’s neck and Kaepernick kneeling and basically things were being said that Kap kneels and gets crucified, a white cop kneels on a black man’s neck and nothing will happen. Also some were calling for officers to be assaulted and that enough is enough.

My entire point was that there isn’t enough information out there yet to start making a judgement and start going after white officers, so let’s wait and get more information on this... Something that we as a society haven’t done well in past incidents that made national headlines where a black man dies at the hands of white officers. 

Also was explaining or attempting to explain that some tactics are taught to officers during defensive tactics class where you attempt to arrest a subject where you are squatted down (supposed to be on the balls of your feet and not have your full weight on the subject) knee/shin are on upper back and a knee/shin on the lower head/upper neck area... 

Now, if you are part of an incident where you are attempting arrest on a combative subject with other officers and you get the subject to the ground and on his belly... If you are near the head area, you naturally take control of the upper torso/head area while the officers work to get the subject place in handcuffs/leg irons to subdue him... 

If you are alone and you get the subject proned out on his belly... Then you use a similar technique, squatted down (supposed to be on the balls of your feet and not have your full weight on the subject) knee/shin are on upper back and a knee/shin on the lower head/upper neck area, then you use a wrist lock to help control the subject and place him in cuffs. 

What i was getting at is, what was the officer thinking? What was his intent? What else was going on around him that made him stay on that man’s neck the way he did and for that length of time? I was saying we should hold off judgement until we see what is found out with the investigation and such. 

That’s not defending the officer not excusing him, just how i personally think... Because things aren’t always as they appear. I do believe what the officer did was unacceptable and he’ll he will answer for what he did... His “intent” will have a lot to do with what charge he is charged with if charges are brought on him and others. 

All I was saying is let’s not start crucifying ALL law enforcement for the actions of a couple officers in this case. I have a vested interest in this stuff because reality is I am a white police officer and I am not ok with folks calling to harm us. 

The video looks terrible, it’s sad to watch... In fact i was throwing my hands up and saying to the officer who was standing there with the crowd to turn around and get that officer off the man’s neck, or any of the other officers to intervene. 

Like i said, i wasn’t there, what were those officers thinking or what was their intent. I’ve personally involved in apprhension of subjects with other officers and it’s not pretty. It’s ALWAYS ugly... 

In a few of those instances I’ve seen officers have control of the person’s head or upper torso area/neck area when trying to get the person apprehended. I’ve personally have had to tell other officers we are done, he’s detained and have had to be told that myself. 

During physical altercations, I can tell you i experienced tunnel vision and you lose track of time and there is a lot going on that is a blur. 

Not saying these officers were experiencing this, but it’s just my experience and could have played a factor in this. Not making any excuse for this, just the way I think as far as “why did this happen the way it happened." 

We also don’t know all of what took place before the incident on the ground. A man died... I like to ask myself why did it happen and what could of happened differently to where this man wouldn’t be dead. 









First observation when watching is “the officer on his neck should of got off his neck and readjust or assess the situation and whether the subject was secured and in custody”. At the time of my post, we don’t quite know much except what the short clip of the video showed.

As far as betting $500 that the officer’s knee to the neck wasn’t the only contributor to the man’s death, from past knowledge of other similar incidents where a person dies during a physical struggle with police, there has been other factors contributing to the death... Factors such as the person’s overall health and fitness level, underlying factors such as a bad heart, drugs and alcohol in the person’s body, etc. 

Not saying what the officer did didn’t contribute to the man’s death, just saying usually it’s a totality of things. Poor explanation on my part maybe.

I was in no shape or form being racist. I was responding to posts i seen about hurting officers and was saying hold up, lets get more info on this before wanting to murder and hurt officers because of our skin color. Folks who know me have never seen me say anything racist nor act in anyway shape or form showing racism. I’ve never used skin color as a way to treat a person, in my personal life or as a police officer. I have arrested, i have helped, i have kids stay at my house with the girls that ase black , hispanic, etc. and i treat everybody the same. Always have. I played college football, worked in law enforcement with different ethnicities and never once treated them differently nor did it even cross my mind.

All the messages, comments, posts, and even calls calling me a racist piece of shit and that i need to die, etc... That is a little excessive maybe, but it is what it is... I know what i’m about and what i’ve done in my life and my career and the folks who said these things don’t know me personally.

Basically I failed to follow my own rules of not engaging in this type of stuff... But I was seeing posts inciting violence towards cops... it triggered me. That’s my fault. So i’m kinda to blame. And no matter what I said other than “fry those cops now!”... there were folks that would attack me... Again, a big reason why I shoulda stayed out of it. It’s a lose/lose situation for some of us.

Basically I was saying... relax, let’s not start calling cops to be hurt or killed, let’s not lump all officers into “bad officers” and wait for more facts before reacting so viciously.

Hope this helps and clears up any confusion to a post i made that was made late at night when this old man is kinda worn down and ready for bed and out of anger from seeing things about officers. Some folks got what i was saying, some didn’t and took it wrong. I’m certainly NOT racist though.

I’m done talking about this and moving on... Folks will still have their opinions of me, and that’s not gonna change, that’s all part of life and I accept.

No comments: