Wednesday, July 15, 2020

What I did was inexcusable- I was a jerk and I'm sorry

A few days ago, feeling the chains of isolation grinding me down, I checked the clock on my computer and saw it was a quarter past two, 15 minutes into Sonic's daily half-price drink special. A quick run to Range Line was just what the doctor ordered.

I pulled in, pushed the red button and waited for someone to take my order … and waited … and waited.

The light showed I had called in, so I waited a few moments longer … and the light went out.

I pushed the button again and this time I got results. A message flashed telling me someone was coming out with my order.

I hadn't ordered anything.








Before I could push the button again, a masked carhop, something not seen since covered wagons quenched their thirst at the frontier Sonics in the 1800s, approached my car with a food order.

As she reached the car, she said what the order was.

"I haven't even placed an order yet," I said. "I have been waiting out here for nearly 10 minutes." I described my frustrations of the previous few minutes. Though I did not raise my voice, I made it clear I was not happy about the way I was being treated.

She explained how they had been having problems with the system and that it wasn't just me, apologized and said that she felt bad about my wait.

"All I want to do is place my order," I said.

"Please try again," she said and once again apologized to me.

After she left, I pushed the button again. After a couple of minutes, the light went off. I backed out and left.

It was ridiculous that I couldn't even order something to drink, was my first thought. It would be a long time before I came there again.

As I pulled back onto Range Line, the truth of the situation hit me.

I was a jerk.

There was no absolutely no excuse for the way I behaved.

I snapped at a teenage girl who was working hard for low pay and wearing a mask when the temperature was in the 90s for something that was not her fault. She took my abuse and remained courteous throughout.

There are times when I wish I could be one of those people who behave rudely and never give it a second thought.









Unfortunately, I go too far in the other direction. It wasn't something that I thought about in every waking second, but I did keep thinking about it.

A couple of days later, I pulled into the Sonic again. This time, I was able to place my order quickly and was pleased when I saw that it was the same carhop who was approaching my car.

Before she could say anything, I said, "I want to apologize for how rudely I treated you the other day when the equipment wasn't working."

"That's all right. I don't even remember it. It was crazy that day."

And it was obvious that she did not remember it. She was far too gracious to someone who did not deserve it, but it certainly made me feel better.

It also made me appreciate the carhop and all of the other workers who deal every day with people who have no tolerance when they cannot do what they want and get what they want in exactly the way they want it.

If she did not even remember my inconsiderate behavior, how much worse did others treat her that day as they dealt with their frustrations?

I don't want to be one of those people.

I will try to do better.

***
Daily news, commentary and investigative reporting you can rely on

Consider taking a subscription or making a contribution to the Turner Report by using the PayPal buttons below or by sending your contribution to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt. A, Joplin, MO 64801

Payment options

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While you are repenting have you ever thought about all the mattress tags you have removed?

Anonymous said...

Idiot comment. But then this is Joplin and you can be anonymous.

kitty chiwawa said...

Technology can ruin an otherwise perfekt day, OR it can try. Frustrating all the time, but I TRY to not let it win, whenever possible.

fastboy said...

I am glad I read this today. We need reminders to be better at being better people.