Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Nancy Hughes: Giving your some for the team


“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

Jeremiah 29:13 (NIV)


The town that I live in made some incredible football history a few years ago. The season ended with a win at the state championships - the first time our high school football team had ever gone all the way to the state level and won!

This was not the result of half-hearted working out at weights early in the mornings or learning part of the plays at each practice nor was it because of luck. Rather, several young men heard the words of their coaches loud and clear: “We will lead you where you need to go but you have to give your ALL in everything you do off the field as well as on the field.”








And because they listened and obeyed, the young men gave everything they had to become the best football team that they could possibly be . . . they gave their all.

Have you ever noticed in God’s Word that He demands your all? In Jeremiah 29:13, He says “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with ALL your heart.” Proverbs 3:5 reads “Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart . . . ” (My emphasis on the ALL). Why is that? Simply put, He refuses to compete for your love. And He shouldn’t have to. His death on the cross for each of us proves that He should be first in our lives.

But wait! What if His words to us were a little different? In Matthew 11:28 (NIV), Jesus says “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” What if, instead, Jesus said “Come to me, a few of you who are weary.” What if Jesus really didn’t mean it in Mark 10:27 when He spoke these words: “all things are possible with God.” but really meant to say “SOME things are possible with God.”

But He didn’t. He spoke Truth in all He said. If you are going to follow Him and allow Him to direct your life, you have to empty your heart of anything that does not glorify Him or focus on His love for you.

What is in your heart that is crowding God out? Let’s see: a career, hours searching on the internet, exercising, a hobby. Or what about fear, anger, worry, or pride? Let’s be clear: ANYTHING that pushes God to the back of your heart will prevent you from finding Him at the front of your life. Ask Jesus to show you what is keeping you from seeking Him with ALL your heart and throw it out. You will meet Him face to face when you give your all.


Lord, please search my heart today and show me what you find there that does not honor you. Forgive me for giving you “some” of my life. I give my all to you. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.








R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect


Do you ever feel like you have to “make room” for the Lord in your schedule because you have so much going on?

What do you give your 100% all to in your life as your main priority?

Apply

During your prayer time, ask the Lord to clearly show you what you are storing in your heart that is crowding out His voice.

Make a list of everything that comes to mind and, one by one, hold each thing up to Him and allow Him to remove anything pushing Him off the throne of your heart.

Power

Proverbs 3:5 (NIV) “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.”

Jeremiah 29:13 (NIV) “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

Psalm 51:10 (NIV) “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope those young men didn't suffer any concussions or brain injuries.

Let's not act like chronic traumatic encephalopathy isn't a problem.

In more than a few cases "Giving your some" is actually "Giving their All" into an early grave.