Thursday, October 20, 2022

Carthage R-9 mourns the loss of longtime teacher Caroline Tubbs


(From the Carthage R-9 School District)

Dear Carthage Staff and families, 

It is with a heavy heart that we share with you the passing of Caroline Tubbs. 

Caroline Tubbs has left a profound impact in the Carthage community throughout her 38 years of teaching experience. Many of those previous students have followed in her footsteps and are now employees of Carthage School District. 








Mrs. Tubbs earned a Bachelors in English Education from Southwest Missouri State in 1963 and a Masters in Secondary Teaching from Pittsburg State University in 1974. She has taught every ELA class offered at CHS including AP Language, AP Literature, ELA 4 DC, and all other upper-level English classes. Her passion and unique teaching style will be greatly missed at Carthage High School.

“Mrs. Tubbs taught both my parents. She taught my wife and me. She taught and loved both my eldest daughter and my son. In education, we use the term ‘Master Teacher’ too flippantly sometimes, but in her case, it is a label absolutely deserved - earned over decades of trial, error, continued learning, and pushing boundaries. 

Personally, she propelled me into a love of the English language, literature, reading, writing, and learning. 

As a colleague, Mrs. Tubbs challenged me and forced me to defend my decisions against her wealth of knowledge and experiences. People always asked, ‘Why is she still teaching at her age?’ The answer was clear to me: Mrs. Tubbs taught because ‘teacher’ is her core. Teaching was as elemental to her being as letters are to books. 

Thank you, Mrs. Tubbs, for helping craft me into the person I am today. I will miss you.” 

Dr. Matt Huntley, Assistant Superintendent, Colleague, Former Student, Friend








“Mrs. Tubbs will be missed not only by our current students but also by many generations of Carthage Tigers. She was a teacher who made a difference.” 

Dr. Mark Baker, Superintendent 

District counselors will be available at the high school to aid grieving students and staff members.

Please join us in keeping the Tubbs family in your thoughts and prayers.


No comments: