Monday, October 24, 2022

Emanuel Cleaver: Demanding answers and change from the U. S. Postal Service


(From Fifth District Congressman Emanuel Cleaver)

I have been a long-time supporter of the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and our postal workers, however, under the leadership of Postmaster General DeJoy, this agency has faced challenge after challenge. 

Despite Congress passing the Postal Service Reform Act earlier this year, which provided much needed financial relief to the USPS and helped them post a $60 billion net profit last quarter, the Postmaster General continues to raise prices and undermine the efficiency of this government agency that Americans depend on.








After hearing complaints from a number of constituents in the Fifth and Sixth Districts of Missouri about increased costs and unreliable mail delivery, I joined my friend, Congressman Sam Graves, in a bipartisan effort to demand answers from the Postmaster General and USPS. 

I know that many Missourians still receive essential medications, paychecks, and other important items through the mail, so any delay in delivery isn't just a nuisance, but can cause serious complication for families. 

To think that some Missourians have to go weeks at a time without receiving mail, as some of my constituents have complained, is simply unconscionable--and I won't rest until the delays in mail services are resolved.

Additionally, last month I joined Reps. Graves and Gerry Connolly (D-VA), Chairman of the Subcommittee on Government Operations that oversees the USPS, to introduce the Ensuring Accurate Postal Rates Act. As the USPS unnecessarily raises rates while it posts enormous profits, we decided to introduce this bill that would direct the Postal Regulatory Commission to reexamine its rate-setting system that was established in 2020 under Postmaster General DeJoy. 








At a time when Missouri families are struggling with high costs, they shouldn't be held hostage by their own government to receive a service as essential as mail delivery--and I'll do everything in my power to prevent it from continuing under the leadership of the current Postmaster General.

As I continue to push for answers and change at the USPS, please reach out to my office if you are having difficulties with the agency. You can find more information on my effort with Rep. Graves here.

No comments: