Friday, July 15, 2005

Forget what I said about Blunt veto

When I make a mistake, I really make a mistake.
That was the case when I praised Missouri Governor Matt Blunt Thursday for his veto of a bill that affected lobbyists. I praised him based on what he wrote about the bill and not what the actual bill said.
In the governor's news release, he said he vetoed the bill because of one provision that would have eliminated a requirement that interest groups or lobbyists representing them have to list what legislation they have an interest in.
The governor used that part of the bill, which apparently is essentially meaningless (the Missouri Hospital Association, for instance, always says it is interested in all bills having to do with health and medicine).
What the main portion of the bill, not mentioned by the governor, would have done would have been to make it easier for Missourians to access information about campaign finance and lobbying reports. And more reports would have been available over the Internet. Not surprisingly, considering how much of the way Blunt has governed Missouri has been based on who has donated how much to his campaigns, the information about what the bill was about was totally missing from his self-serving press release.
And I bought it, without even checking.
For that, I apologize.

No comments: