Saturday, July 23, 2005

The low pay of Jasper County deputies

If I had any doubts about whether the Jasper County law enforcement sales tax should be put on the ballot, they were erased after I read the story that will run in the Sunday Joplin Globe about deputies' salaries.
When I found out that one seven-year veteran, Scott Stringer, had resigned his job $25,800 a year job to get a higher salary teaching in the Diamond R-4 School District for $26,000 a year, I said two things.
The first was "They need to pass that law enforcement sales tax."
The second was "Why did he settle for being a teacher? If he's going to work in the Diamond School District, he could make over $40,000 a year supervising the maintenance crew or pull down $35,000 or more annually as a secretary.
I guess it's just a matter of priorities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehehe I love that post Mr. T. The inside joke around school is that Harold is referred to as the"$40,000 janitor". Of course Tiny is known for her radiant personality. You would think that since she has no education whatsoever and makes more than all the teachers that the might be in a better mood?