Wednesday, July 06, 2005

State senator dies from cancer

My sympathies are extended to Mrs. Gene Taylor, whose son, Larry Gene, a state senator whose district included McDonald County, died today of cancer.
I did not know Larry Gene Taylor. I was lucky enough to have known his father, having interviewed him on numerous occasions, including a five-part series I did with him in 1993 on "Presidents I Have Known."
While doing that interview, Congressman Taylor told me how and one of his predecessors as Seventh District Congressman Dewey Short, had been called to the White House by President Nixon during the height of the Watergate crisis to advise the president on whether he should resign or not.
It still seems hard to believe that Congressman Taylor is dead, much less his son.
Larry Gene Taylor was 51.

No comments: