Friday, July 27, 2012

Kansas City Star's Joplin 5:41 tops Amazon ratings for Joplin Tornado books

The Kansas City Star's book about the May 22, 2011, Joplin Tornado, Joplin 5:41, tops the Amazon.com ratings for books written about the tornado as of 11 a.m. today.

The ratings for the books are listed below:

1. Joplin 5:41, Kansas City Star- 80,073
2. Spirit of Hope- Randy Turner, John Hacker 167,369
3. 5:41- Randy Turner, John Hacker 181,338
4. 32 Minutes in May- Joplin Globe 199,467
5. Miracle of the Human Spirit- Mark Rohr 260,839
6. Singing Over Me- Danielle Stammer 524,140
7. When the Sirens Were Silent- Mike Smith 527,381
8. When the Storm Passes (novel) Julie Jett 1,076,230
9. Joplin Tornado House of Hope- 2,343,188

I know that Scott Hettinger's book on the tornado has been published, but apparently at this point it is not available at Amazon.com.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I refuse to buy The Star's book because they chose not to run my original tornado story, which was offered to them in plenty of time for the June 4 issue of the paper, in which the weekly Faith section appears. Easily the best title among the bunch is "32 Minutes in May," which was the title also used by one of the TV stations for a piece that ultimately won an award. Who first used the title? I dont know. "Spirit of Hope" is an improvement over "5:41," both in terms of the title and the all-around coverage of the tragedy and its aftermath. "When the Storm Passes" is a catchy title. My sister has read Mark Rohr's book and highly recommends it. I am aware of Scott's book but don't have a copy of it either and thus haven't read it. My other extended version of my original story was supposed to be included in David Stapleton's e-book, but I have yet to see any such e-book. I guess I just may have to write my own book if that story is to ever appear in print. At any rate, I'm glad to see you're in second place with the book, and I hope you'll eventually surpass The Star. Rick Nichols, Leavenworth.