Monday, June 17, 2013

Bruce Speck officially singing the Pink Slip Blues

They made it official Friday. The Turner Report had it 13 days ago.

(From Missouri Southern State University)

Dr. Sherry Buchanan, chair of the Board of Governors at Missouri Southern State University, announced today Dr. Bruce Speck is no longer President of the University.
A roll call vote during an executive session on June 14, 2013 was unanimous, with all members participating and in favor of the action.
 The parties are ending their relationship by mutual agreement.
“We thank him for the positive initiatives he implemented during his tenure,” Buchanan said.
Since Dr. Speck took office at Missouri Southern in 2008, he led several initiatives including improving the University’s financial position, creating a strategic plan, developing a master facilities plan and implementing program prioritization.
An interim president will be named in the near future.
***
In 2009, Bruce Speck enraged the Missouri Southern State University campus when it was learned that he entertained the Rotary Club by singing "The Pink Slip Blues," at a time when he was cutting jobs right and left. It seems fitting to reprint the lyrics of that song:
Well,I never felt more like singing the blues
'specially when my name's in the news
the headlines, they got me singing the blues

Well, I never felt more like cryin' all night
'specially when the budget's tight
the payroll, it's got me singin' the blues.

The budget that I thought was mine
is disappearing line by line
There's nothin' left for me to do
but cut your budget, too.

Well, I never felt more like runnin' away
but where would I go to get better pay
upward mobility, it's got me singin' the blues

Well, I never felt more like singin' the blues
'cause I never thought that I'd ever lose
my assistant, it's got me singin' the blues.

Well, I never felt more like cryin' all night
'cause givin' a pink slip don't seem right
job security, it's got me singin' the blues.

The office space I thought was mine
is gone and I'm told not to whine
There's nothin' left for me to do
but move in the cubicle with you

Well, I never felt more like runnin' away,
can't do that until payday
relocation, it's got me singin' the blues.

Well, I never felt more like singin' the blues
;cause most of my colleagues got the bad news
unemployment, it's got me singin' the blues.

Well,, I never felt more like cryin' all night
the economy's bad and nothin' seems right
no more Starbucks, that's got me singin' the blues.

The raises that I thought were due
my boss tells me they won't come through
there's nothin' left for me to do,
but furlough all of you.

Well, I never felt more like runnin' away
but I need to update my resume
retirement, it's got me singin' the blue
s.

No comments: