Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Former Lamar R-1 superintendent's wife shares story as husband is in critical condition with COVID-19

Former Lamar R-1 Superintendent Dennis Wilson is in critical condition in the AdventHealth ICU unit in Shawnee Mission, Kansas.

(Update: Mr. Wilson passed away Saturday, March 21.)

For the past several days as Wilson, who also was superintendent for the Labette County School District, has been receiving treatment his wife Joanna has not been able to see him.

That changed Tuesday as she shared on a Facebook post that was heavily shared and is printed below:

I had five wonderful hours visiting my sweet husband today in his ICU room. 

Sedation was backed off to allow me to ask him questions and elicit responses. He opened his eyes barely and I challenged him to look at me, pictures of the grandchildren, and let me look into his eyes. I was looking for signs of the old Dennis pre-Covid-19. 










I held his hand, rubbed his arms and kissed his head. I even got a little bossy with him (imagine that), telling him to do this or that and looking for any response. I read to him the many beautiful, uplifting comments that were written on Facebook to encourage him in this battle of survival! 

I observed his care, which is excellent by the way, and got to know his beautiful, compassionate nurse for the day. And she got to know me and, in doing that, got to know more about him as a person and us as a couple. 

I desperately wanted her to know the Dennis without sedation and the long plastic tube jammed down his throat, and the myriad of wires, cords and tubes that looked like one big mass of a failed macrame project! 










I wanted her to know that he was my love, my soulmate, a devoted father, and beloved grandfather. I wanted her to know that his other love/soulmate is a shaggy Maltese named Simon who thinks the world revolves around this human. 

I wanted her to know about the biology teacher turned school administrator who lead classrooms, high schools, and school districts to accomplish great things and with great love! I wanted her to know of his great love for magic, a love that only started in the last 25 years, but one that he really, really loves!

With all that said, Dennis is still so very ill. Covid-19 has a strong hold on his lungs and won’t let go! His pneumonia is extensive and debilitating and potentially very deadly! And as long as that’s the case then he will need life support. Please continue to pray for him!

Thank you, nursing staff of Advent Health, for figuring out a safe way for me to me to visit Dennis and making it happen! I am deeply grateful!

15 comments:

Mj said...

I pray for God to bless your husband with healing in the name of Jesus Christ. 🙏

sharon Hill said...

He is healed in Jesus name...Amen Indeed

Sally Booth said...

Praying for you and him. Keep your faith in God. He will see you through.

Unknown said...

Prayers! ❤

Jess said...

Praying for you, your family and friends and the staff caring for your husband. You are the best medicine and what you are doing is the strength he needs to walk out of there! I wonder if the fur baby could Facetime him!�� God bless you both.

Unknown said...

Praying for a complete recovery. We all need to see that twinkle in his eyes and that unforgettable smile. Prayers for you as you go thru this.

Unknown said...

By the power of the Holy Spirit and the blood of Jesus Christ we ask that Dennis be healed Lord!!!

Unknown said...

Praying for him and your whole family. What a terrible thing.

Anonymous said...

As someone who was a child in Lamar for many years 8f schooling under his care, I am deeply troubled, and disheartened to hear that this virus has gotten to him. I pray for continued care, and a solution to this awful circumstance.

Lisa said...

Prayers to you and all those battling an illness~

Gma K said...

We don't need to pray for God to heal Dennis. We need to PRAISE God for healing Dennis. Thank you Jesus for your healing powers to return Dennis to his wife, kids, grandkids and his loyal dog! All glory be to God!

Unknown said...

I wholeheartedly pray for your husband to completely recover from COVID-19, in Jesus' name.

Unknown said...

Prayers for you & your dear husband from Texas.

dh said...

Praying for healing.

Anonymous said...

He passed away this morning. ��