Sunday, May 14, 2006

Senior spotlight continues in Carthage Press

Not many of the things I added to The Carthage Press or The Lamar Democrat are still being used in those newspapers, and understandably so. After all, my time in newspaper journalism ended seven years ago.
As I read the Sunday Carthage Press a few moments ago, I saw a feature written by staff writer Cavanaugh Greenwood on one of the top 10 seniors at Carthage High School.
I don't remember exactly what year the Press started doing that, though it seems that is was probably about 1992. My whole idea was a two-week series profiling each member of the top 10 of that year's graduating class, beginning with number 10 and concluding with the valedictorian, usually in an issue that came out just prior to the commencement ceremony.
I had the opportunity to interview some of the best young people I have ever encountered, people who made the sacrifices to reach the top, and I tried to find a way to give people a sense of who these students were.
The series was a success from the start and why not? It is something every small town daily should do. I would imagine probably a few of the reporters who followed in my footsteps probably wish I hadn't started it, but I am pleased that Managing Editor Ron Graber has continued that tradition. Some of these students have never received publicity, and they deserve a chance to bask in the spotlight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, Randy! I know when my son graduated from Lamar as valedictorian, I never saw it mentioned in the Democrat! The only place it showed his name was in an ad a business placed naming the top 10 in order. How sad!