Sunday, August 27, 2006

Talent attacks McCaskill's stances on veterans' issues during Columbia appearance

James Talent, flanked by State Representative Col. Jack Jackson, attacked State Auditor Claire McCaskill's stance on issues of concern to veterans during a campaign stop in Columbia Saturday:

Talent said that the Veterans Affairs health-care system has improved since he got into Congress. "Now, I’m not going to claim entire credit for that, but I’m one of the group of people who’s substantially increased funding on veterans’ health care," Talent said.

Talent also stressed his support for a ban on burning the American flag, increased funding for national defense and protections for servicemen and -women from predatory lenders.


Jackson indicated Ms. McCaskill had snubbed him recently, refusing to shake his hand, and he likened it to the way veterans were treated after returning from Vietnam:

"That bad memory, when I came home from Vietnam both times, flashed in front of my face when I walked by her one time not too long ago, stuck out my hand and tried to say, ‘Jack Jackson.’ And she ignored me," Jackson said.

"Well, thank you very much. You must have been one of them who ignored me when I was a 26-year-old kid coming home."



A spokeswoman for Ms. McCaskill, Adrian Marsh, denied the snub of Jackson and added:

McCaskill, whose father served in the military, has her own vision for the military and veterans that advocates increasing the size of the active U.S. Army, blocking increases to health insurance premiums and continuing combat pay for wounded soldiers.

"It’s one of the primary things that’s wrong with Washington, when we deny those who served the benefits," Marsh said.

No comments: