Saturday, August 18, 2007

Whitney Scott named KSPR sports director


Lockwood High School graduate Whitney Scott, who received national recognition a few years back when she competed on an ESPN program to become a Sports Center anchor (and reached the final four if I recall), has been named sports director at KSPR in Springfield.
Ms. Scott's promotion was included in a complete revamping of the station's on-air crew, which included the return of Springfield veterans Joe and Christine Daues as news anchors, but since I have known Whitney for a long time, and since I used to live in Lockwood, Whitney is the big ticket item for this blog.
A senior news producer for the station, as mentioned previously in The Turner Report is Chatter blogger and veteran investigative reporter Ron Davis, formerly of the Springfield News-Leader and 417 Magazine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Mr Davis was named Executive Producer. I thought the KSPR news director was the former Executive producer for KYTV.

Randy said...

He is senior news producer. I need to be a bit more careful when I do these early morning posts. Thanks for pointing out my error. I will make the change.

Anonymous said...

Of course, the big story is that they are now a duopoly with KYTV.
That ws approved about a week and a half ago by the FCC, but not mentioned in this blog.
That gives KYTV control of 3 stations in the Springfield market ( a triopoly???)
I guess since they are not Nexstar, there is no point taking a shot at them?
They are not going to let you be the weatherman either....
Also, they fired a ton of people - that might have made a great story.
Oh, and they have a new www address, logo, slogan. I did not see that mentioned.
And Ron davis has never spent a moment in a TV newsroom and was named Senior Producer? That's a laugh!

Randy said...

The big story to you is the triopoly, and I thoroughly understand that, and perhaps at some point I will write about that. I do offer some Springfield media coverage, but nowhere near as much because I cannot receive the Springfield television stations, so I have no ability to gauge their news offerings, except through what is featured on their websites.
You seem to forget that this ia a Joplin based blog. I am more interested in the effect that Nexstar Braodcasting with its ownership of KSNF and essential ownership of KODE, and Saga Broadcasting with its ownership of KOAM and KFJX have on the news for the Joplin area.
The news of Whitney Scott's promotion is the big news to me because I have known Whitney since she was in high school, and I have a sizable readership in her hometown of Lockwood.
And if you will check, you will find that I have written several positive comments about Nexstar Broadcasting in the past, though I have ripped them on occasion, and in all likelihood will continue to do so when the situation calls for it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the story about Whitney. I enjoy reading news about people from Lockwood.