Monday, May 19, 2008

After six-day delay, East Newton holds graduation


My alma mater, East Newton High School held its graduation ceremony Sunday, six days later than originally scheduled, thanks to the tornado that ripped through Newtonia and Granby a week ago Saturday. Rick Rogers and the Neosho Daily News offer coverage in today's edition:

Katlyn Peterson is the valedictorian of the class of 2008. Jessica Brust gave the invocation.

“It has been a long ride, and I think our class had a great bond,” said Alaina Lawson, ENHS Class of 2008 salutatorian. “We had our ups and downs, but we are still strong and I am thankful for that.”

Lawson then referenced the tornado and the damage it left in its wake.

“I am thankful no one is missing, and no one is not here today,” she said. “We have some classmates who have lost their homes, but I am thankful everyone is here today.”


(Neosho Daily News photo)

No comments: