Friday, April 15, 2011

Big Government blog wants to know if Billy Long hoodwinked Seventh District voters

Andrew Breitbart's Big Government blog, in a post today, questions whether Seventh District Congressman Billy Long hoodwinked voters during the 2010 campaign. From the blog:

I decided to ask Congressman Long whether or not he had, indeed, sold his auction and real estate businesses as he claimed his election would require. On March 31, I sent a fax to him at his Washington, D.C., office. It contained three basic questions.


More than 24 hours passed without even so much as an acknowledgment of his office receiving my inquiry.

Fifteen days later, I decided to follow up with a phone call to Bret Funk, the congressman’s PR staffer, and find out if any answers were forthcoming. After a brief conversation, I forwarded the email message below as a repeat of the questions his office had previously ignored:

Bret,

During a Nov. 9, 2009, appearance on the KZRG Morning Show [See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VTr1Tq_WPo], Congressman Long spoke with host Josh Marsh about the sacrifices he was willing to make if elected to serve Missouri’s 7th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives. Below is a transcript of a portion of what he said during that radio appearance:

“You have to sell your business. If you have a fiduciary business, you have to sell that, so I’ve gotta walk away from a business I built up for 30 years. Who’s gonna buy it without me there? Answer: Nobody. Whoever I sell it to has to take my name off of it. Now, what’s it worth? Absolutely nothing. I own a third interest in the largest real estate company in Springfield; I have to sell that. Do you want to buy a real estate company today? You know, they’re not worth anything, and I have to give up my real estate broker’s license.”

Today, more than five months have passed since the election, and I would appreciate answers to the following questions:

1. Please name and briefly describe the “fiduciary businesses” in which Congressman Long holds a sole or part ownership interest.

2. Has Congressman Long put any of his fiduciary businesses up for sale? If yes, which ones? If not, why not?

3. Have any of Congressman Long’s fiduciary businesses been sold? If so, which ones? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for a prompt response.

Sincerely,

BobMcCarty

BobMcCarty.com

Regular contributor at Andrew Breitbart’s BigGovernment.com, BigHollywood.com, BigJournalism.com and BigPeace.com.

Nine minutes later, Funk replied with the question, “Are you from District 7 Bob?”

I quickly responded, “I am media.”

Almost two hours passed before Funk replied again, essentially blowing me off: “Apologies Bob, we are initially focusing on our district press for media requests. Please keep us in mind in the future.”

No comments: