Thursday, April 21, 2011

Billy Long: I'm more Tea Party than the Tea Party

Continuing his program of restricting his media interviews to those within district, Seventh District Congressman Billy Long is featured in an interview in this week's National Journal.

In the interview, Long, who told the Joplin Tea Party audience that he was not very popular with House leadership is described as "developing a reputation as a straight talker and House leadership has taken a shine to him."

About the tea party, Long says, "I’m probably more tea party than the tea party. In southwest Missouri, we were tea party before tea party was cool. I don’t join caucuses unless I really feel like I have time to devote to them."

About whether he would vote to raise the debt ceiling:


"We are going to have to get some extreme, not extreme—we’re going to have to get some good-sized spending cuts before I’d even look at it. It’s going to be another negotiating thing."

4 comments:

Busplunge said...

Billy likes to play softball.

Anonymous said...

"I invented the tea party." Al Long

Anonymous said...

Billy's all about the Tea Party if it's sweetened heavily by special interest funding.

Anonymous said...

"In a free society, there comes a time when the truth -- however hard it may be to hear, however impolitic it may seem to say -- must be told."

AL GORE, fundraising letter, May 2006

p.s. "I invented the Internet"