Sunday, November 24, 2019

Kay Hively: The tale of the whale ring

With Christmas closing in on us, I start getting a few gifts together. I don’t give many, but I try to do or give other things.

As I grow older, I have come to get a thrill out of finding the “perfect” gift for those people I do remember with a present, Usually, the “perfect” is something that comes out of my house or is some kind of heritage piece.

One thing I may give this year is a ring. The ring is made of whale bone.

Many, many years ago a young man, named John, was madly in love with one of my aunts. John was in the Navy and while on a long deployment that took him away for several months, he spent part of his free time carving a ring for Lulu, the girl he loved.

Using one piece of whale bone, he fashioned the ring putting two hearts blended together. He carved a “J” on one heart and an “L” on the other.








I am sure the ring has no commercial value but it was worth a million dollars to John and his sweetheart.

John and Lulu were married on his return from sea. They lived in sunny California and had a great life. Lulu was a “bit” actress and John worked in a large foundry which made train wheels.
Although Lulu had a big diamond ring, she loved and kept the little whale bone ring. After a long marriage, both Lulu and John died. they never had children so when they were gone, someone packed in their things and sent them to my dad in Oklahoma.

Many interesting things came from California. When the dust settled I received the ring, which had remained perfect, except it had turned brown. The “J” and the “L” were still perfectly positioned on the two hearts.
As I looked through their photo albums and saw their lives, I have come to see their love for each other.

Their photos recorded their lives, their travels and their personalties. There are photos of Uncle John, a powerful-built man, lofting one of those train wheels over his head. He is said to be the only man in the factory, who could do that.

There are photos of Aunt Lulu with her beautiful flower garden at their home in Huntington Beach. There are pictures of their travels, including a memorable trip to see our family in Oklahoma.
Looking at the ring that John carved for Lulu I must determine who will get it.

But between, you and me, I may not be able to let go of it.

(Kay Hively is an author, historian and former editor, reporter and columnist for the Neosho Daily News and Neosho Post.)

No comments: