Sunday, November 10, 2019

Nancy Hughes: Dedicated to the one I love

“He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he
who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man
of truth; there is nothing false about him.”
John 7:18 (NIV)



I am not a morbid woman but I spent one afternoon last week looking at obituaries in newspapers. I confess that I was fascinated by the content of each one.

Some were very flowery and full of honors the person had attained in his or her lifetime; others were concise and to the point with no frills. But what got my attention was one particular word that was used over and over: “dedicated.”








The first obituary shared that Mr. Smith “dedicated his life to the planting of trees in his community.” Mrs. Callahan’s obituary stated that she was “completely dedicated to her bridge club for 33 years.” Yet another woman “dedicated everything she had to promoting healthier lifestyles for household pets.”

Certainly those activities were important to those people and may have been important to others around them as well and I am equally certain that they were worthwhile pastimes. But I have been trying to wrap my mind around the word “dedicated.” 

It is defined in the dictionary as “devoted to a task or purpose; having single-minded loyalty, exclusively allocated to or intended for a particular service or purpose.”

So can I ask you something? What are you dedicated to with all your heart and all your life? What task or purpose fills your days and evenings more than anything else? What consumes your thoughts and plans day after day?

I asked myself those same questions and I didn’t like my answers: surfing the internet, chatting on Facebook or on my cell phone, watching one reality show after another on television. None of those activities were bad or heading me on a path straight to the lake of fire.

But where was my dedication to sharing Jesus with the elderly neighbor next door or writing a note to someone that I knew was hurting or simply spending time in the presence of my Father telling Him how much I love Him? If my obituary were written today, I fear it would read “She was dedicated to four hours on the internet every day, rain or shine.”

Not anymore. I resolve to refocus my life on the eternal. Then perhaps one day my obituary will read “Her life was dedicated to the One she loved.”

Father, this moment I dedicate my life to you. Show me what I can change so that I am totally devoted to you and to your service. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

What activity in your everyday life takes up the majority of your time and energy?

Does it have anything to do with serving the Lord and telling others about Him?

Apply

Take the time to journal your activities, day by day, for one week.

At the end of the week, group all your activities together under two titles: “For Me” and “For the Lord.” In which group did you dedicate the most time and effort? Prayerfully change your daily focus as needed.

Power

John 7:18 (NIV) “He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.”

Matthew 21:37 (NIV) “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and all your mind.”

Romans 12:1,2 (NIV) “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship.”
(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nancy--there is no lake of fire; please stop trying to scare people and just let them live the only existence any of us are ever going to get.