Sunday, February 23, 2020

Kay Hively: Better uses for the money

The 20/20 Super Bowl is over. Congratulations to the Chiefs.

Before the game, everywhere I went, everything I read, or everything I heard was about the event. Sports experts had the game covered from every angle, including such things as how often the official coin turned up “tails” to how long the half-time show would run.

But it was most astonishing me that so much money was spent to actually go to the game. I heard that some premium seats were selling for $50,000. I don’t know how many were priced at that level, but I cannot imagine anyone wanting to go that badly.

Even for “regular” prices, it was an expensive tab. If you had to travel, the cost of an airline ticket or the cost of driving and parking, or the cost of a hotel, if you had a spend the night, would have crushed many a wallet.








The basics of going to a game would be quite a bit, even if you didn’t eat and drink much, didn’t attend any of the parties, or make a bet of some kind.

I have no idea how much was spent nationwide on the game. However, I can think of many other ways to spend that much money and still enjoy the game on television.

It seems I am really getting old as I don’t like traffic, crowds, drunken fans, or loud music. I lost interest in the halftime show when they started keeping the marching band on the benches and got too many screwballs to sing the National Anthem.

There are some worthy causes right here in Southwest Missouri that could use a little of that money that is going for Super Bowl entertainment.

Many local historical societies could use some extra cash. Area museums need help, funds for scholarships are needed at the Carver National Monument, and there is always a need to provide Christmas dinners and gifts.

Civic groups such as Lions Clubs are always needing funds. This group provide eye exams and glasses for kids in need. All civic clubs in the area have good causes and need our help.

I could go on and on, naming animal shelters, school groups, scouting groups, and churches. Maybe if you feel you overspent a little too much for Super Bowl activities, you can scale back a little next year and help out our local groups and projects.

Just between you and me, that makes a lot of sense.

(Kay Hively is a historian, author, and former editor, reporter and columnist for the Neosho Daily News and Neosho Post.)

No comments: