Sunday, February 02, 2020

Nancy Hughes: Don't forget to dance

“Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual
fervor, serving the Lord.”

Romans 12:11 (NIV)

One of the most precious videos I ever saw showed a two year old boy who finally was able to hear for the first time. Having been deaf from birth, he had never heard his mother’s voice or music playing or birds chirping – in other words, all of the sounds that we enjoy and take for granted.

As the little boy sat on his mother’s lap, she spoke gently to him, calling his name while hearing aids were placed in his ears.

“Brian. Brian, its Mommy.” He jerked his head toward her face and instantly began to smile and bounce up and down on her lap. His father laughed and then cried as his son laughed back at him and reached for his arms.








Suddenly, in his excitement, the little boy jumped to the floor and danced in a circle, clapping his hands and giggling. What a beautiful reaction to hearing voices for the first time.

That pure joy reminded me of the moment I decided to give my heart to Jesus. I couldn’t quit smiling and sharing Him with everyone I met. Maybe I didn’t dance as I told my friends and family about the Lord, but inside I couldn’t contain the jig my heart was dancing at my newfound faith.

Sadly, as I got older, I forgot that excitement for what He did for me and almost (dare I say it) became complacent about my gift of eternity. I guess I could explain my fading enthusiasm by saying that as I got older, I was more dignified in my walk with the Lord.

But to be honest, I think that I began to take it for granted and I allowed my extraordinary relationship with Jesus to become ordinary (ouch). Can you identify?

Let us never forget what He did for us. Our hope is not in the temporary but in the eternal. Remember the excitement of asking the God of the Universe to live in your heart?

He is still the same Father now as He was when you first met Him face to face. His truth has not changed. Jesus willingly died for every single one of us. He longs for a relationship with us, His children.

Share the exciting news of Jesus and His mercy and grace, forgiveness and love. And while you are at it, don’t forget to dance.

Father, I never want to take for granted the gift of eternal life that you have given to me. May I share it with enthusiasm with everyone I meet. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

• Do you remember how you felt the moment you asked Jesus into your heart?

• How does that excitement compare with how you feel today?

Apply

• For one week, make it your goal to share the joy you have as a child of God with one person every day.

• At the end of that week, write down all the responses you received. Could they see your excitement in your heart for the Lord?

Power

• Romans 12:11 (NIV) “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.”

• I Corinthians 15:58 (NIV) “Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

• Colossians 3:23 (NIV) “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: