Sunday, February 09, 2020

Nancy Hughes: The check

“Do not withhold good from those who deserve it,
when it is in your power to act.”
Proverbs 3:27 (NIV)


The check in the mail was made out to me in the amount of $700.00. All the extra work on a project had paid off and I was excited to reward myself.

My mind raced through all the spending possibilities. The thought of putting it in my savings account only lasted two seconds. New clothes kept popping up in my mind along with several other purchases.

It was at that moment I noticed I had also received another letter in the mail, this one from a missionary I supported.








Her note, always full of hope and encouragement, had one sentence that jumped out at me: “We are in need of Bibles for the families and have been praying that if God puts it on your heart, you would give whatever gift you can. Our goal is to raise $700.00” the letter went on, but I didn’t see what else was written. My eyes could only see the amount: $700.00.

I would like to tell you I knew exactly what to do AND did it immediately. I would like to, but I can’t. Oh, I knew alright that God had blessed me with the $700.00 check and had allowed the request for $700.00 for Bibles to come in the mail at the same time for a reason. But, sadly, arguments I shared with Him as to why I needed to keep the money for myself began to surface:

“You know my bank account, Lord, and you know it’s very very low.”

“Someone else will give the $700.00. In fact, I am sure that several will give money so that the goal will be met. I don’t want to deprive them of being blessed.”

“I will send a little bit, to do my part, Lord. That should be good enough.”

All excuses, all hollow reasoning for what I knew in my heart the Lord was showing me. The missionary was not asking for money to buy herself new clothes. She wasn’t even asking for rent or food donations. No, she was asking that we, her supporters, consider sending money for Bibles. God’s Word. Truth. Hope. Forgiveness. Jesus.

I turned to Proverbs and read verse 27 of chapter 3. “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act.” Deserve it? Of course. We all need to know Jesus. In my power to act? Absolutely.

I deposited the check and wrote one for the same amount to the missionary along with a simple note: “For the Bibles.” All the extra work DID pay off . . . for eternity.

Father, I want you to be master over my life instead of money. Show me where I can worship you by giving, as you have given so generously to me. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Have you ever felt that you needed to give generously to the Lord’s work but didn’t follow through?

What reasons did you give for not giving as you felt led to do?

Apply

Journal all the reasons that you feel keep you from giving above and beyond to those in need.

Beside each reason, write a Scripture that encourages you to share and memorize it.

Power

Proverbs 3:27 (NIV) “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act.”

Luke 3:11 (NIV) “John answered, “The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same.”

Deuteronomy 16:17 (NIV) “Each of you must bring a gift in the proportion to the way the Lord your God has blessed you.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: