Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Nancy Hughes: Mommy, come

“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV)


“Mommy, come!” I heard the little voice call. My two-year old son had an answer ready each time I walked in his room and said “What do you need, sweetie?” A drink. His blankie. A hug. Another hug. Just one more song.

After several evenings of him calling and my going to his crib, I knew something had to change. I had tried reminding him with each request that he already had a drink of water and his blankie was in his bed with him; that we had hugged three times and sung two extra songs. But nothing worked. He continued to repeat “Mommy, come!” again and again and again as soon as I left his room.








My husband and I realized that our son really didn’t need another drink or song or hug. He simply needed to be sure that, in the darkness of the night when he could not see us, we were still close by. So we decided on a nighttime routine.

When it was time for bed, we carried our little one into his bedroom, hugged him and whispered “Night night. Mommy and Daddy are going to bed, too. We love you. See you in the morning,” as we would smile and shut his door.

And, even though it was extremely hard, we did not go back in when we heard that precious voice calling. Of course we were still listening. Of course we peeked into his room after he fell asleep. Of course we were always there, even though he couldn’t see or hear us during the night.

But he needed to learn to trust that, even though we didn’t come the second he called, we would come. And in the morning, when I heard that sweet “Mommy, come!” I could not wait to open the door and sweep him up in my arms and say “Here I am!” as I covered him with hugs and kisses.

We are a lot like my son, aren’t we? The “darkness” of a job loss or a crisis in marriage or a prodigal child or a major health issue hits and we panic when our Father does not come immediately when we call. We mistake the silence for not caring or hearing and we wrestle with fear of the unknown and discouragement.

But look at Deuteronomy 31:8. The Lord tells us that He will never – say that word – never leave us. Sometimes, like my son, we need to learn to trust. We need to trust that the God of the Universe is still beside us, listening and loving. Even though we don’t see Him. Even though we don’t hear Him.

I encourage you to hold on through the night. That’s when we learn to trust that our Father has not left us. He is near, watching over us, guiding and protecting us every second of the day and night. He hears us when we call and He is faithful.

Father, help me to trust that you will never leave me, whether it’s in the darkest night or light of day. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Have you ever felt like God was far away and did not hear you when you called on Him?

Were you filled with fear and panic or did you trust the Lord?

Apply

Journal and memorize Deuteronomy 31:8.

When you struggle with fear, say Deuteronomy 31:8 aloud, placing “me” in place of “you” in the Scripture. Then thank Him for His faithfulness.

Power

Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV) “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

Psalm 116:2 (NIV) “Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.”

Psalm 77:2 (NIV) “When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted.”

 (For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: