Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Nancy Hughes: Watch out for the snake

“Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

I Peter 5:8 (NIV)


Snakes. It’s not that I don’t like snakes. I hate them – any size, color, make or model. And please don’t tell me how friendly they are to the environment because they catch mice. It doesn’t matter to me. I hate snakes.

Last summer I was hiking and almost stepped on a snake. Yes I was able to jump out of the way at the last minute. No it was not poisonous. At least, I don’t think it was but when you are vaulting backward through the air and screaming simultaneously, it’s kind of hard to be sure.








From that moment on I found myself jumping every time I saw a long brown stick in the grass or felt a weed brush my leg. Just knowing that another snake could be close by made me more aware of my surroundings and much more cautious with every step. How I wish the temptation to sin could have that same effect on me. Just one wrong thought and I would instantly be on guard for the next attack from Satan.

We have a very important reminder in I Peter to be alert when sin comes our way – and it will come. Satan has made it his top priority to sneak around the earth, looking for someone to trap and destroy. Peter warns us to “be self-controlled and alert” but how are we going to do that?

How are we going to be able to keep from “stepping on the snake” and risking a fatal blow? First, stay in the Word. Jesus gives us power in His name to stand against evil but we won’t know what to do if we don’t read His instructions from the Bible

Secondly, we have to continually be on our guard against anything that could lead us to sin. We should not wait until a “snake” crosses our path before we are careful about what we allow in our homes and minds and hearts.

Instead, we need to be constantly on the defense, making sure we never allow ourselves to be in a situation where the “snake” can sneak in and destroy. And remember: God has also given us the gift of the Holy Spirit to help us by guiding our actions when we are in danger of being attacked.

I encourage you to never let your guard down against the evil one. Stay in God’s Word. Soak it into your heart and mind. Talk to the Lord daily in prayer and ask Him to guide you. Heed Peter’s warning. There are snakes hiding everywhere.

Father, thank you for giving us your Word so we can be on guard against Satan’s attacks. It is because of you that we are able to stand strong. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Have you ever been blindsided by a sin?

Were you deep in God’s Word at the time?

Apply

Journal temptations/sins that you struggle with in your life.

Beside each one, journal Scripture that encourages you to stand strong. Post them around your home to remind you of God’s power against the enemy.

Power

I Peter 5:8 (NIV) “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

Ephesians 6:11 (NIV) “Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.”

II Thessalonians 3:3 (NIV) “But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.”

 (For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: