Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Nancy Hughes: The laundry list

“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much,” and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.” Luke 16:10 (NIV)

It may sound crazy, but I love hanging laundry outside on my clothesline. There’s something about fresh-smelling towels and sheets that take me back to my childhood. Growing up, we didn’t own a dryer for several years, so a clothesline was our only option.

A few months ago, on one especially windy day, I decided to hang out towels, washcloths, and several pairs of jeans. I knew that they would dry in a hurry and smell fresh! Without giving it a thought, I hung the jeans on the inside line first and then proceeded to hang washcloths on the outside line. But that was a big mistake.







I should have realized that, in the gusty south breeze, the jeans would be jumping back and forth as if they were in a Zumba class with heels on – pointy heels. So, every time I tried to hang a washcloth up, a WHACK hit me either in the face or bare arm as the jeans danced with abandon and delight.

What in the world was I thinking? I should have hung the smaller things, like the washcloths, on the inside line first. That way, as the breeze hit them, they would only move in a small area, and I could have finished my work without constant attacks.

I can also get things backward in life. I think that the Lord should bless me with BIG tasks to do instead of smaller ones. And too often my pride says, “I’m worthy of the BIG . . . not the small.”

That may include wanting to speak at a large conference when I need to begin by sharing at a Bible study at my church; perhaps I need to begin running at the school track for a few months before I consider tackling a marathon. I am offended because I didn’t get the promotion at work that I felt I deserved; it could be that I need to work harder at whatever assignment I am doing now.







The Lord entrusts us with small tasks for a reason. He wants us to learn to trust Him and to be faithful with whatever we have been given. He is preparing us for more as we prove to Him that we are willing to do our best and work our hardest at whatever He has given us to do.

We need to remember that He will cover us with huge blessings as we are faithful in carrying out His smaller projects. My challenge is this: begin small, delight in the job the Lord has entrusted to you and see what He will accomplish for His glory.

Lord, Show me your plan. Help me to trust you in the small things, because they will always accomplish something big for you. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Have you ever felt that you were wasting your time doing something “small” for the Lord when you should be working on bigger projects?

Why was that your reaction? Pride? Frustration? A desire to serve Him in a bigger way?

Apply

Each morning, before you get out of bed, offer up your day to the Lord and ask Him to give you His plan for the day – whether big or small.

Be open to every opportunity to serve Him, no matter the size or importance of the project.

Power

Luke 16:10 (NIV) “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much,” and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.”

Zechariah 4:10 (NIV) “Who despises the day of small things?”

Matthew 25:23 (NIV) “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness.’”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)




No comments: