Thursday, August 18, 2005

Pierik back on KOAM Morning News

One of the risks Nexstar Broadcasting took when it pulled KSNF and KODE off local cable outlets is that people would sample the competition and find out they like it.
I had not watched the KOAM morning show since the concept was first introduced to the area by Toby Cook in the early '90s. I had grown accustomed to watching first, Gary Bandy and Tiffany Alaniz on KSN and later Alan Matthews and Malorie Maddox on KODE.
Once I had to put up an antenna to watch KSNF and KODE, I tried KOAM's Morning Show with Sarah Pierik and Dave Pylant and found it to be a genuine treat.
I know I am going to hear the news and weather done professionally (and there have been days especially when the anchors were starting on the other morning programs that the words were mangled and mumbled). Miss Pierik gives the appearance (and I am willing to bet it is an accurate appearance) of someone who does an incredible amount of preparation each day. She speaks clearly and pronounces words correctly. How in the world KOAM has managed to keep her on the morning show for so long I have no idea.
I also do not have to worry about the news being overshadowed by remotes at places that I don't find remotely interesting, or read in the middle of a pep rally at some local high school.
That was why I was so disappointed when the school year started Monday. I had to start getting up early again and there was no Sarah Pierik on the morning news. Anne Bassett and Lisa Olliges were doing a fine job, but listening to Miss Pierik read the news was one of the few things that made me look forward to having to get up at 5 a.m. (And I appreciate the job Pylant does with the weather, also.)
She was back on the air today, so until she is snatched up by some larger station, all is right in the morning once again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This posting should go over pretty well with the KODE/KSNF crowd Randy.

Randy said...

I call them as I see them.

Anonymous said...

Randy,

You say you "call it like you see it," but it's a shame you only see what you want to see.

KOAM's dry content may be suitable to people like you who don't seek any intellectual stimulation, whether it be at 6am or 10pm.

It's not to say the other stations are reducing string theory to layman physics, but they're certainly at par with the typically 'sub-par' newscasts we get in this market.

Not taking anything away from Ms. Pierik, but your long diatribe is the best oral pleasure she could ever hope for.

Instead of wasting so many words on praise, or bias, why don't you spend some time supporting your arguments by tuning into the shows you clearly never watch.

Anonymous said...

Like I said...this posting will go over well with the KSNF/KODE crowd. I must admit, I do agree with your conclusion that KOAM's morning anchor is the best in the market as far as morning shows go.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about Dave and Sarah .As our friend Sgt. Joe Friday says,"Just the facts mam " I don't need a "man on the street" reporting from a gym in Carl Junction, or Chef Pierre for my news at 5:30 in the morning! I don't need a couple of clowns, yuking it up either. Just the facts so I can make my own opinions!Can you say intellectual stimulation on here Randy? Keep up the good work Dave and Sarah !

Anonymous said...

ENJOY HER WHILE YOU CAN; SHE'S DESTINED FOR GREATNESS. HER SMILE IS INFECTIOUS, HER PROFESSIONALISM A DELIGHT.

Anonymous said...

Sarah is an up and coming Katie Couric or Diane Sawyer. You heard it here first! Lovely girl, smart and talented. A pleasure to watch.