Monday, November 23, 2009

Smith disagrees with prison sentence: I'm no threat to society


In an interview with the Washington University newspaper, former Sen. Jeff Smith, D-St. Louis, who was sentenced last week to one year and one day in federal prison for his part in a coverup of violations of election laws, says things are going to be tough, but he has overcome obstacles before:

“Surely it won’t be a picnic,” Smith said. “But I’m a strong person, and I’ve overcome things before…so I’ll get through it, with the help of friends and family and a great support system.”


For those asking for the reason for the one day on Smith's sentence, it is explained in the article- all federal sentences of one year or less have to be served completely. The extra day increases the possibility that Smith could be released early. While Smith says he appreciates that move by the judge, he still does not think he should be serving any time in prison, according to the article:


“I’m obviously not a threat to society, and I was no threat to re-offend, given that I will not be running for office in the future,” Smith said. “So I think the community would have been best served by having me remain here and continuing the community service-type things I’ve done for 20 years.”


Smith's prison sentence will begin in approximately six weeks.

No comments: