Saturday, August 07, 2010

Remembering Ruby Sapp

The 1980s were not easy years for Democrats and especially ones who lived in Jasper County.

We were living through the Reagan years, followed by four years of George H. W. Bush as president and officeholders who had a D by their names on Jasper County ballots were few and far between.

The 1990s did not start much better for local Democrats. Not only was President Bush still in office, but Missouri's governor was Republican John Ashcroft.

With all of those negatives, Ruby Sapp never lost her enthusiasm for her party. I first met Ruby in March 1992, when she stopped by the Carthage Press office to let me know that the state's lietenant governor and in her words "our state's next governor"  Mel Carnahan was going to be in Carthage. Even though she was in a building in which the Press Editorial Board endorsed Republican and Carthage native son Bill Webster, the attorney general, three times, she never lost her sense of humor and never had any doubt that we were wrong and Mel Carnahan was going to be governor.

And one year later, Bill Webster was headed to prison and Mel Carnahan was in the goveronr's mansion- and there was a Democrat in the White House, Bill Clinton.

Though there was still on average only one Demcratic officeholder in Jasper County, Ruby never gave up hoping and was gratified by the success of Kathleen McGuire when she was elected to office in the mid-90s.

One of my favorite memories of Ruby Sapp came when she stopped by The Press office in 1994, a  few months after I had been named managing editor to ask me what kind of coverage I planned to give to Hillary Clinton's visit to Independence, Missouri.

I told her Independence was a little out of our reading area, but I would be happy to run some AP copy of the visit. Then I asked her if she knew anybody who was going, knowing full well what her answer was going to be.

It didn't take long for me to convince Ruby to write an account of the First Lady's visit. Lamar resident Kim Stahl was also headed to Independence that day on another mission- protesting the Clinton visit. So The Press ended up not using any Associated Press material at all. I ran Ruby Sapp and Kim Stahl's first-person accounts side-by-side under the headline  "Declarations from Independence."

For Press readers, it was a fun look at politics from both sides. For Ruby,seeing Hillary Clinton was a dream come true and things only got better.

Two years after that, she was chosen to represent Jasper County at the Democratic National Convention.

For Ruby Sapp, life was family and Democratic politics.

Ruby died Thursday at age 81 and things were undoubtedly just the way she wanted them- a Democrat in the White House and a Democrat in the governor's mansion.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruby was a great lady, but as a Republican I'm glad she changed her tune at least once with her going to the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION as a rep of Jasper County....or did Randy screw up again....the guy who tells everyone else how to be accurate and how to be a great journalist like himself..

Sympathies to Ruby's family...

Randy said...

I corrected the mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. Considering the nature of the post, however, an e-mail to me would have been a more appropriate way of letting me know the error.

Anonymous said...

To 7:44

My mother never went to the Republican National Convention, She went to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, in 1996 as a delegate from Jasper County. One of the many highlights of her life.

Randy said...

That was my fault. I made a mistake in the original post. I obviously knew better, but for some reason it ended up in there anywhere, but it has been corrected My apologies.

GCook said...

Randy, you do a lot of great writing on this blog, but posts like these are my favorite. I did not have the pleasure of knowing Ms. Sapp, but your entry brought her to life and made me feel like I did. Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm a Republican but I appreciate Ruby Sapp.

She and others like Betty Kowalewich,Pat Welsh, Billie Babb and several other women worked for years to support the principles of their political party in Missouri.


They didn't chase after every new cause that came down the pike but stayed true to their convictions.

Hopefully, the Republican and Democrat Parties have many women dedicated to the cause of keeping a strong, two-party system in our nation.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 11:55 you hit the nail on the head....there are good people on all sides and those who are good and loyal and dedicated have my respect..
I, too, am a Republican but there are many fine Democrats. I just wish everyone on every party level had the integrity of those good people at the grassroots...

Rest in Peace, Ruby, and may others carry on as you did...it was always fun being with you...even though we had differing party loyalties.

Betty Kowalewich said...

I knew Ruby well...and I am sooo sorry she is no longer with us...
Ruby was not only a worker for the democratic party...but a worker who tried to do what is best for human kind. I am Betty Kowalewich and I shall miss Ruby and her sweet smile... Watch for me Ruby cause my time on this earth is limited...and we need to "catch up"

Anonymous said...

It is so refreshing to see good comments from both sides of the isle about a good lady. So seldom do we seem to want to work together. We have a two party country for a valid reason. Either part left unchecked and unwatched will have us in the ditch so fast it would be unbelievable.

As someone said there are good people in both parties, its so sad on the evening news we don't normally hear from or about these good folks.

My condolences to those left behind.
Dave Rust
Kirbyville, Mo.