Wednesday, July 26, 2017

McCaskill works with Arizona Republicans on bill to help veterans land border protection jobs

IMAGE: Marking up Committee bills with my Republican colleagues, Senator John McCain and Chairman Ron Johnson(From Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-MO)

Shoring up security on our border & making sure that communities across America are safe, and making it easier for our veterans to secure good jobs when they return from service, are two issues that are near and dear to my heart—and a priority for me in the Senate.

That's why I'm working with my Republican colleagues from Arizona, Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake, to pass our bipartisan Boots on the Border Act, to help U.S. Customs and Border Protection fill vacancies by removing duplicative standards for veterans and federal law enforcement officers who have already undergone strict vetting.
This bill would also apply to local and state law enforcement officers as well, who have already completed a polygraph for their current position, and shouldn't have to go through redundant hurdles to help protect America's borders. As a former prosecutor, it's important for me that the waiver would not apply to anyone currently under investigation, or anyone who has ever engaged in criminal activity or serious misconduct.

I'm proud to work with my friends across the aisle to pass this commonsense bill, which will make it easier for our men and women in the military and in civilian law enforcement to continue serving our country.

No comments: