Saturday, March 27, 2021

Nancy Hughes: Weighing the worth

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other,
just as in Christ God forgave you.”

Ephesians 4:32 (NIV)


A round oak table was something I had wanted for years. We started our marriage with a wobbly little table that was always falling apart. I honestly thought the legs were made of aluminum foil because simply placing a paper plate on top of it would cause the table legs to bend and the need for additional screws, a nail and a tube of super glue.


But one Saturday at an auction we saw it: a beautiful round oak table with 3 leaves . . . exactly what I had dreamed about for years! It had been refinished by the previous owner and did not have one scratch or water spot on it. 

My husband bid more than he should have – probably because I kept bumping his elbow to bid higher –and the table became ours! We proudly placed it in the kitchen and every time I walked by I would slow down just long enough to run my fingers across the beautiful smooth surface.








Not too long after our purchase, my mother-in-law came to visit for a week. She was an amazing cook and we loved her “everything-from-scratch” meals that she made. We knew when we both got home from work her first day there, we would be met with the aroma of chicken and homemade noodles, rolls and apple dumplings for dessert. What we didn’t think about was that we would be met with something else: scratches, long and deep, on the surface of our new table.

I knew immediately what had happened when I saw my mother-in-law’s face as I walked in the door and she pointed at the table, head bowed. “You are going to be so mad at me,” she quietly cried. “I cut the noodles on your table. I didn’t even think about my knife making any marks on it. Look what I have done. I am so sorry.” Deep cuts, sliced in a crisscross pattern in every direction, marred the beautiful table top.

Can I be honest with you here? My very first thought was “What in the world were you thinking?” and it was a high-pitched voice inside my head. Nice thing for a Christian to be thinking, huh. 

But God, in His wonderful wisdom, whispered something to me that immediately calmed the voice: “It’s only a table, Nancy. It’s only a table. Someday it will belong to someone else and the marks will not be important. But what you say to your mother-in-law right now IS important.”

I looked at the table and then smiled at my mother-in-law: “Are you kidding? It’s not a big deal. You came all the way here to stay with us and made homemade chicken and noodles for supper. I love how much you love us.” As I gave her a hug, praises went up from my heart as I thanked the Lord for reminding me that “It’s only a table.”

If only I could tell you that I always showed compassion in other situations as well. My heart hurts to think of other times when I was more focused on things of no value compared to the hearts of my husband, children or friends. Can you identify with me?

As a Christian, I absolutely have to remember that in life, words spoken carelessly in anger cut deeper than cuts accidentally made on a table. My encouragement when things happen is to take a deep breath, remember Ephesians 4:32, and be quick to hug and love as you remind yourself “it’s only a table.”

Lord, how many times I have been upset over something that truly is unimportant. Forgive me for focusing on temporary things instead of hearts. Help me to look at everything in my life through your eyes. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

How often do you get upset or frustrated over situations that happened accidentally and say the first thing that pops into your head?

What is the reaction of the person or persons you spoke to about the situation? Hurt and broken? Or happy and relieved?

Apply

The next time a situation occurs and you are angry or frustrated, silently ask the Lord “Is this only a table?” and if it is, focus on the person in front of you and their feelings.

Write down Scripture to keep with you to pull out when you are tempted to say or do something that will only cause heartache or hurt feelings.

Power

Ephesians 4:32 (NIV) "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

Proverbs 15:1 (NIV) "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

Colossians 3:13 (NIV) “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”

No comments: