Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Fortunately, petty grudges appear to have held no sway in library tax vote

I was a bit concerned last week when a letter to the editor to the Joplin Globe suggested the 10-cent library levy proposal be voted down. The letter came from someone who ended up on the losing side of the library's battle with the local genealogy group, which ended up with the group's materials under the control of the library.
While I do believe the genealogy group has a legitimate gripe, I hated to see someone take a stance against a proposal that could benefit so many people. I often go to the Joplin Library when it is open late on Monday and Thursday nights, and if the proposal passes (and it has taken an early lead), the library will be open more hours and the community will benefit.
This is not a tax that will benefit just a few. I have seldom been at the library when it does not have a number of patrons doing research, checking out books or videos, using the Internet, or taking advantage of one of the many other programs and services that are available.
I know that during the third quarter of each school year, when I assign my students research papers on various aspects of the Civil Rights movement, many students take advantage not only of the materials available from the South Middle School Library or from my personal collection, but also do research at the Joplin Public Library.
If the early vote holds, this is a win-win situation for everyone...including the people in the genealogy society.

No comments: