Saturday, January 27, 2007

The money behind the late school start bill


A reader left a comment a few moments ago to a previous link concerning the late school start bill being proposed once again by Sen. Jack Goodman, R-Mount Vernon. In the post, I noted the amount of Branson tourism money that Goodman receives, as well as the money that has been contributed to Sen. Gary Nodler, R-Joplin, who supports the bill.

The reader wrote:

This post is very deceiving. Goodman is a senator that represents Branson. I can understand why such a concern could raise eyebrows if such funding went to someone like Nodler. But a senator getting funding from within his district just doesn't seem like news to me. Regards, Branson Edge


Branson Edge is absolutely correct. The Branson tourism interests are in Sen. Goodman's district, and I have no problem with the senator receiving donations from them.

My reason for continuing to mention this, however, dates back to my first post on the subject, which came in the March 23, 2006, Turner Report:

In a news release, Goodman said the bill "protects families' ability to take summer vacations, be involved in sports and summer camps and take advantage of other important non-classroom learning opportunities."
Goodman continues, adding that this simple maneuver will increase student attendance "as parents are relieved of the burden of choosing between their children's education and these other vital activities."
These things may all be true, though I am inclined to doubt it, but even if they are, Goodman left out one important reason why he sponsored this legislation...it is a pet bill of the state's tourism industry, and if anyone is beholden to that special interest segment, it's Senator Goodman.


There is no doubt that a key reason for this legislation is that it will benefit the tourism industry. Yet the wording of that press release indicated Goodman was avoiding that issue, deliberately trying to keep Branson out of it.
***
While I appreciate the well-reasoned comments of Branson Edge, I have nothing but contempt for the Nodler supporter who, as usual, took my words, twisted them, and came up with nothing that resembled reality. I have noted that Gary Nodler received his Branson campaign contributions close to the time he announced his support for Sen. Goodman's legislation. The anonymous Nodler supporter continues to claim that Nodler supported this legislation much earlier so I am lying. I have never said he did not support the legislation, all I said was that the donations came just about the time he began showing that support in public. I have yet to find any news articles or any other sources that say Nodler spoke in public in favor of this bill. The first show of public support that I learned about came when he spoke last May at the Southwest Regional Center in Webb City to a group of school counselors. His Branson contributions came right about that time.

And as Branson Edge correctly points out, Branson is not in Sen. Nodler's district.
***
According to the Missouri Senate website, a hearing on the bill was held earlier this week. As far as I can tell, the media ignored it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I very much hope they do move the school start date. I think it should be after Labor Day. Missouri schools just keep starting earlier and earlier. What's the point?

Branson Missouri said...

Thank you for the clarification. I've been trying to follow and understand the underlying issues. I am doing my best to cover it here. As a freelancer I'm able to navigate and feed different mediums. A regional "caucus" for lack of a better word - headed up to Jefferson City. This included regional school district and various organizations. I agree that we need honest dialogue and that our Senator's ought to be forthcoming about the primayr benefits of legislation to their constiuents.....the primary benefits first and then follow up with how others may benefit...I'm all for integrity in government; perhaps, a refreshing change could bring out the better in people and make legislation move quicker..
Best Regards,
Branson Edge

Betty B. said...

I attended high school in a rural area in Greene County. Springfield Schools always started after Labor Day and got out later in the spring. We always started in August, so the boys would be available when haying season started, according to my Dad. The heat was generally unbearable the first couple of weeks. It makes more sense to me to start after Labor Day, than to go to the expense of installing and maintaining A/C for use only a couple of weeks a year.

Branson Missouri said...

Wow, I'm very sorry I have earned your contempt. Over the past week I've interviewed two superintendents who've been politically active in regards to the subject at hand. Mainly, to understand my unanswered question's submitted to gain understanding. I've only been able to get the truth "off the record" ...