Saturday, February 07, 2009

GateHouse Media closes Kansas newspaper

For the second time this year, GateHouse Media has closed one of its Kansas newspapers.

The company announced Friday it was shutting down the Derby Daily Reporter, a 47-year-old newspaper:

The Derby Reporter will publish its final edition on Feb. 17.

The newspaper thrived during the rapid growth of the city and was instrumental in informing and educating residents as the small town became a bustling suburb.

Market forces, challenges specific to the newspaper industry and the loss of a major revenue stream have overwhelmed the newspaper’s ability to continue with a profitable business model.

“We had hoped to find a way to continue publication,” Publisher Kent Bush said. “We are proud of our staff and the work they have done for this community. It is unfortunate that so many challenges came simultaneously to limit our ability to survive.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Former Chart editor Rob Smith also served as editor in the early 90s.

Anonymous said...

FYI, I did not work at Derby.I was the news editor at The Newton Kansan from 1979-1984 and the managing editor at The Pratt Tribune from 1984-1989. Those are the only two Kansas papers for which I worked.
Buzz Ball

Randy said...

That's what happens when I try to go by my memory. I probably was thinking about Rob Smith. I will fix that immediately.