Icy Roads Possible During Thursday Morning Commute. Allow for Extra Travel Time!
Weather Forecast: A wintry mix of sleet and snow has fallen off and on in McDonald County this afternoon. The forecast is calling for sleet, freezing rain and snow to fall beginning late this afternoon into the overnight hours. Heavy precipitation may fall at times.
The freezing precipitation is expected to continue through morning rush hour on Thursday.
Also, windy conditions are possible with wind gusts up to 40 mph.
Travel Conditions: Roads will become slick in southwest Missouri as the storm progresses from southwest to the northeast. With the possibility of windy conditions, roads may become impassable due to downed ice-covered trees and power lines.
Road Clearing: MoDOT crews are on the roads monitoring conditions, treating and plowing roads as necessary. If needed, they will clear roads of tree debris as quickly as possible. However, they will not be able to remove downed power lines and will have to rely on local power companies to respond to these areas.
Icy Weather Driving Tips:
* Buckle up.
* Adjust your speed to conditions.
* Be alert for road conditions that may change as you drive.
* Do NOT drive over downed utility lines. Assume every downed line is a fully-charged electrical line.
* Don't tailgate.
* Focus on driving and avoid distractions.
* Keep your windshield and other windows clear to help you see.
* Stay at least 100 feet behind a truck plowing/salting the road.
* Allow for extra travel time if you must travel to work or school.
Road Condition Information:
* MoDOT Customer Service: 1-888-275-6636
* MoDOT Traveler Information map: http://maps.modot.mo.gov/timi/
Follow MoDOT/Southwest: facebook.com/MoDOT.Southwest and twitter.com/MoDOT_Southwest