Top 10 reasons for the Joplin School Board Fiasco
1) CJ Huff - for turning into a self-indulgent, delusional small-time tyrant who became so brazen that he openly undermined the credibility of a school board candidate and sitting board member. Gosh CJ, what if she wins? Can you work with a school board that isn't a rubber stamp for everything you want? Guess not.
2) Jeff Koch, Debbie Fort, Jennifer Martucci - who, after winning legitimate seats on the board through a fair election, inappropriately and publicly campaigned for the appointment of Jim Kimbrough (after he had independently decided he was finished). You managed to offend some folks you could have worked with, and now look what happened.
3) Jim Kimbrough - the namby-pamby former board member who decided not to run for re-election only to change his mind after his buds got elected. If you'd had the balls to run in the first place, none of this would have happened.
4) Randy Steele - for being the poster boy for clueless public service. Steele is just "proud to be there, anywhere". Aw, shucks! When it was time to fill the vacant seat, he folded up like a cheap lawn chair and then resigned because somebody tried to influence his position. Imagine. This guy has been lost in the funhouse for years and is unlikely to ever figured out who has been manipulating him the entire time.
5) Mike Landis - for being a mean-spirited, pompous ass who knows nothing about education and doesn't care to learn. The board was just an opportunity to pad his paltry resume and do that civic thing, or whatever. His best decision while serving was to quit.
6) Linda Banwart - easily offended opportunist who felt that she was being mistreated but was somehow elected VP of the board by the very people she accused of mistreating her. How does that work? Also, major negative points for exercising her new-found accidental veto power over anything the BOE must do to function. Me, compromise in order to have a functioning school board? I'm an independent woman who is quite capable of choosing who I will allow to bully me, by God! Banwart may actually win the bad guy point total for pushing the county commission solution, which she no doubt came up with all by herself.
7) County Commission - for over-stepping their boundaries and establishing an appointment process that isn't a process and is at best extra-legal in this case. If somebody doesn't get an injunction to halt this nonsense, I'll be surprised.
8) Missouri School Board Association - whose crack legal team has provided, uh, nothing of any help. Your school board association dues dollars asleep at the wheel.
9) DESE - too wrapped up in their own mess to notice anything that far away.
10) The Joplin Globe - for taking nice young reporters and editing their stories in order to agree with the newspapers motto: "Revenue trumps honesty"