Sunday, September 01, 2019

Kim Frencken: School size does matter

We all know that class size makes a difference. The more kids crammed into a room that was designed for half that many kiddos and you begin doing more crowd control than teaching. It's hard to develop relationships when you are so greatly outnumbered. It's next to impossible to have a class activity or project. There simply isn't room.

School size makes just as much of a difference as class numbers. I've have the opportunity to teach in a large district (for Missouri) and in a small one (for just about anywhere in the U.S.) and I can tell you that school size makes a huge difference (no pun intended).

 The larger school district was more impersonal. I was only one of many. I had to wear a name tag so people would know who I was. My classroom was supposed to be a carbon copy of others in the district. I didn't know teachers from other buildings. I didn't know all of the kids in my building. 








District meetings were just a way to make us feel like our opinion really mattered when actually decisions had already been made. 

 Speaking out or speaking up for kids was a good way to get a black X drawn next to your name. Questioning the powers-that-be was taboo. Heaven forbid a teacher would have a thought to call her own and be brave enough to voice it.

In a smaller school district, name tags are unnecessary because everyone is family. We all know each other. And we all care. Oh, I'm not saying it's some 'Leave It To Beaver' world. We get frustrated. Sometimes. But most of the time, our stress level is low. 

 Meetings are a good place to honestly voice your opinion. Doesn't mean that things will be done your way, but you are listened to and respected. Admins doors are open. They welcome a visit. To say that we love each other would be a true statement. We have time to build relationships with our kids, kids from other classes, and our colleagues. We share and support each other. Unhealthy competition is low to nonexistent.

And the family concept doesn't stop with staff. Our kids are members of one big family. Cheering each other on. Patting each other on the back. And occasionally having sibling squabbles. One of the most wonderful things to witness is a kindergarten child being mentored and encouraged by a middle school student. Or a first grader hearing a sixth grader praise them for a job well done.

One of the biggest mistakes our nation made in the world of education was to consolidate schools and do away with many small country schools. Life isn't perfect out on the prairie, but I wouldn't trade it for the concrete jungle any day. I love getting up for work. I may be exhausted when I get home, but I'm happy. How many can say that about their work environment?
(For more of Kim Frencken's writing and information about her educational products, check out her blog, Chocolate For the Teacher)

1 comment:

ozarkteller said...

Excellent read!