Sunday, September 08, 2019

Kim Frencken: Why don't general education teachers receive equal pay?

Why do school districts value coaches, extra curricular, and even special needs educators over regular education teachers?

And before anyone gets their knickers in a knot... I get the merit that sports and art and music play in a school system. I understand that kids who need a confidence booster can often get it in these classes. 

I understand the necessity of special education teachers. I know there are children who need a little extra help and those who require a great deal of assistance. I'm not trying to downplay their importance. But my question is... why are they valued OVER regular education teachers. 

Aren't we ALL playing an important role in the lives of our kids? Shouldn't all teachers be paid at the same 'hourly' rate? Paying those who put in extra hours for their extra hours, while still appreciating those who putting in quality school hours?








Why are coaches and some special education positions given sign on bonuses? Ordinary, run-of-the-mill regular education teachers slave over data and take brow beatings over test scores while our colleagues were being offered sign on bonuses and substantial pay increases for retention. "Regular education teachers are a dime a dozen," said a not-too-bright administrator. "I can get anyone to fill those positions." Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I know that I don't have to sacrifice my nights and weekends to accompany a sports team or drama team. I know that I am not staying after for practice. I know that I don't have to arrange transportation for competitions. I get that. I know it takes extra-off-the-clock time to prepare students to attend extra-curricular events. I know that it takes time to arrange for transportation, parental permission and involvement. I know that students with special needs can emotionally and physically drain a teacher. Really, I understand.

But I also understand the sacrifice that a regular education teacher makes. I know the hours required preparing an extra special lesson since the district can't afford to take my kids on a field trip. I know the money spent making my classroom a place kids can't wait to be in. I know the money spent buying the necessities. Things like pencils, highlighters, tissues, clothing for a student in need, or food for a child that usually goes hungry. I know.

Imagine how I feel when I'm turned down because there is no money left in the budget, yet kids are still being bused an hour away for a game. Imagine how I feel when I have to spend my week-ends writing differentiation curriculum. Imagine how I feel when I have to teach summer school and work a second job because I don't earn enough money during the school year. That's my frustration. I keep giving and giving and it seems like everyone else is receiving.

I'm not just speaking for me. In fact, I'm not speaking for myself at all. I'm speaking for all general education teachers. I'm speaking for educators everywhere. Will there ever be a day when ALL educators are valued and respected for the unique things that each of them do? Will there ever be a day when we are ALL compensated for the extra hours that we invest in our kids?

(For more of Kim Frencken's writing and information about her educational productscheck out her blog, Chocolate For the Teacher.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading your posts make me glad I didn’t choose teaching as a career.