Saturday, February 25, 2023

Nancy Hughes: Did you forget me?

“But Zion said, “The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.” Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!” Isaiah 49:14-15 (NIV)

My heart was almost pounding out of my shirt as I silently yelled “I’m late! I’m late!” All I could think of was my five-year-old son getting off the school bus and me not being there to hug him and welcome him home! 

I was chatting with the ladies at a local church after I had spoken at their meeting when I realized that I was late getting home to meet my son as he got off the bus. I always met him at the back door – except today. The door was locked and he was alone!








I quickly put his sisters in their car seats and drove the speed limit (well, maybe a little over) to get there before the school bus did but I failed. My eyes filled with tears as I turned the corner at my home and saw my little boy sitting on the swing set, holding tightly to his lunch box as if he could somehow gain strength and courage from it.

I jumped out of the car, pulled him into my arms, and wiped the tears running down his face. He looked up at me and only said four words: “Did you forget me?” but the way he whispered them – as if he was hurt beyond belief that I would ever do such a thing – broke my heart.

“Did you forget me?” Have you ever asked God that question? You’ve been in a situation that has threatened to drown you day after day, month after month – maybe even year after year. And your heart wonders . . . just maybe this time God isn’t listening and answering when I pray. Maybe this time He doesn’t care.

Perhaps you’ve prayed for a prodigal child for years and he or she continues to run from a relationship with the Lord and with you. Or you’ve stared in shock as your doctor shares with you that the cancer is back. Maybe it seems like the harder you pray, the more distant your spouse seems to be. Or you have lost a family member suddenly. “Did you forget me, God?” you ask.

In Isaiah 49:14-15 the Lord answers that question emphatically: “I will not forget you!” He is encouraging His people who are going to be in captivity to remember that no matter what, He has not forgotten them. God knew exactly where they were and what they were facing and – for the moment – He in His wisdom was allowing the situation to happen.

God also knows exactly what is going on in our lives, no matter what we face. He hasn’t forgotten us. Simply put, He says that a mother could never forget her newborn child and her love for its life. But, even if she did forget, He – God – will never forget us, His children.








We do not always know the “why” some situations happen as they do in our lives. We pray, but the answer to what we are facing seems to be silence from God. Please know that He hears you and has not abandoned you. God has a plan for ALL things. And let me reassure you that no matter what storm you are in or crisis you are battling, our faithful Lord is at your side, He is in control and He has not forgotten you.

Father, thank you for your reassurance in your word that you will never forget me and always stay by my side. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect


Have you ever felt like God has forgotten about you and what is going on in your life?

Did you feel that God didn’t care or listen when you called His name?

Apply

Journal the last five words of God’s promise in Isaiah 49:14-15

During your prayer time each day, speak this truth to the Lord: “I KNOW you have not forgotten me. Give me strength and hope for this day.”

Power

Isaiah 49:14-15 (NIV) “But Zion said, “The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.” Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!”

Hebrews 13:5 (NIV) “. . . God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’”

Psalm 139: (NIV) “If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)


No comments: