Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Joplin R-8 drops appeal of $1 million+ jury award in lawsuit filed by raped JHS student


The Joplin R-8 School District has dropped its appeal of the verdict in a lawsuit filed by a Joplin High School student who was sexually assaulted in 2016.

Online records for Missouri Southern District Court of Appeals indicate a motion for dismissal was filed February 20 and granted the following day.

A Sunshine Law request from the Turner Report to the R-8 District returned the following response:

Regarding the settlement in Jane Doe vs. Joplin School District, the District paid $3,000 and $1,267,348.43 was paid on behalf of the District. According to 610.021 RSMo, the settlement agreement in this case is not a public record.
The "paid on behalf of the District" apparently refers to the district's insurance company.







The settlement appears to be close to the amount Jane Doe won in the trial, which took place December 6-9, 2021. 

The jury awarded $817,000 to the plaintiff, $518,790 in attorney fees and $15,583 in costs for a total of $1,351,373.

The jury did not award punitive damages.

Jane Doe told her story in documents filed with the Missouri Commission on Human Rights in 2016.

I first met (the boy) at my school, Joplin High School, when we had a class together during first hour in the fall of 2015. The next semester, in January 2016, he began to message me on Facebook asking if we could have sex.

I said, "No way." That semester, I had fifth hour with (him) in the international foods class. We were on a team together with some other friends. We started talking again then the real harassment began.

He would message me asking if we could have sex, send me (penis) pictures and say he was horny.


When my boyfriend broke up with me, I told (a friend in that class) about it. Then he began asking me if I wanted to meet up and have sex. I told him no, I am going through a bad break up. I became infuriated with him pestering me to "show me your body" and other comments.

On February 24, 2016, I was already having a bad day after breaking up with my boyfriend and needed a hug from a friend. (He) had me sit down under a rock ledge under the back stairs, then he shoved me down, pulled down my pants and raped me.

I was telling him no, to stop, but he just kept going. Finally, I used my knee and shoved him off.

He sat down and while I was crying and slowing getting my pants back on, he said, "I was helping you get over (her boyfriend)."

I left in a hurry back to my seventh hour and my friend (name redacted) saw me (we had seventh hour together, as well). I told her everything that happened and then later reported the rape to police with my parents.








was not able to return to classes at Joplin High School after that. It took more than a month for the school district to accommodate me with classes on line to take so I could finish my course work and graduate.

We found out from the prosecuting attorney's office while they were investigating my case that there had been 10 other incidents regarding Joplin High School, including three rapes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight, she gets out of class to meet up with a guy that has been harassing her and sending dick pics then willingly goes with him to a blind spot in the security camera to get a hug? I guess the school should send a chaperone with every student that leaves the classroom for any reason?? I feel bad for her but how is the school responsible? I see they only paid $3,000 but insurance rates will go up because the jury wanted to blame someone for this. Was the boy arrested and convicted??

Anonymous said...

A bit hard to believe. I think the School District (read Insurance Company) just got conned.

Anonymous said...

Sorry this incident happened and for the young woman. The School, Teachers, and Administrators were not Responsible for this - they were not aware - I do hope the School does takes care and will do a Policy and Security Review to Cover all of these Areas - so these issues do not happen to anyone else.

Again, her Morality - in this - "Me Too Environment" - should of came into the Overall Picture - as she was Treated 100% as the Victim - even though she put herself in Bad Positions - and Contributed to this situations that eventually arose. Any Business or School should provide a Safe Place for Patrons or Students - but when the Patrons and Students - are their worst Enemies and fail to Condcut themselves in a Safe, Prudent, and Moral Function - why should anyone be blamed for their lack of Conduct.

Her Parents should have been sued for Raising or Contributing to her Morals. Yet that will never happen - - Since we do have a Victim Mentality in the Court Systems and Juror Pools. Or why didn't her Parents sue the Boy's Parents - - because it is all about the Money - - in this situation the School had the Deeper Pockets -

With this said, The Young Man should be Prosecuted and He and His Parents should be Civilly Sued by the School to help Re-cover their Lose in this Case.

This is why it is so difficult for having a Business, School,Etc., in Today's Everyone is a Victim Society. You may try to do everything correctly - - but if something happens on your Property even though you had nothing to do with issue - there is always some Attorney willing to take the Case Pro-Bono - looking for that Pot of Gold at the End of the Case -- Re-read the story and see how much the Victim Got and how much the Attorney Got as in a Payday.

We have over 1.3 Million Attorneys in the United States - that is 1 for every 240 US Residents - this is why we have so many Lawsuits - - we have more Attorneys per Capita than any Country in the World - - -

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe the horrific victim blaming here. It is disgusting. A jury listened to the evidence and found the school at fault. Why are we not blaming the boy for assaulting her? You all will do anything but blame a male for his behavior.

Anonymous said...

I remember this whole thing :( that poor girl got smeared so bad in school. I believe it, the guys at JHS are disgusting creeps that don't get held accountable because they're "good boys". Disgusting.