Saturday, March 18, 2023

Nancy Hughes: A reason to remember the past

“I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.”

Psalm 77:11 (NIV)


My friend and I sat in front of the box fan blowing air on high and groaned about the unbearable heat of the summer. Temperatures were well into the 100’s and our families were suffering with no air conditioning in our homes. 

Even swimming didn’t seem to help because the water temperature was so warm. “It’s only June and it’s 100 degrees,” my friend commented. “We haven’t even gotten to August!”








Two weeks later she called me with great news: “Ray is having air conditioning installed in our home! Can you believe it? We will have it by the weekend!” I was so excited for her. “Wow,” I said. “Sleeping in cool comfort all night!” She chimed in “Putting on makeup that actually stays on my face and doesn’t run to my belly button.” We giggled like little girls at her great news. As the summer temperatures continued to climb, my friend enjoyed the coolness of central air. Although we were not financially able to have it installed at our home, I was so happy for her and her family.

One hot August morning brought 109’ temperatures by 10 a.m. I had three fans on high and windows open for a breeze but it did little to cool us off. I called my friend to chat. “I think this is the hottest day we have had this summer! We are roasting in our house! I am praying for some cooler temperatures soon,” I was telling her. But her response caused me to stop in mid-sentence. “Seriously, Nancy. You think this is hot? I’ve seen a lot worse than today, or this summer for that matter. It’s not bad at all.”

Huh? What in the world had just happened? The weather hadn’t changed; in fact, it was hotter with each passing day. But what HAD changed was my friend’s perspective. She was sitting in a cool, air-conditioned home and had forgotten how hot she had once been. The empathy we had shared concerning the summer heat was gone because her situation had changed. She had once been exactly where I currently was, but somehow she had forgotten that fact since it no longer applied to her.








Sometimes we do the same thing, don’t we. Oh, not about air conditioning, perhaps, but about other, much more important issues. For example, we see a young couple in the church struggling with finances and instead of offering help and encouragement, we are quick to comment on how they should be able to make ends meet while we forget that we, too, were stressed with budgeting when we were first married.

Or perhaps we see someone searching for a certain book in the New Testament during a sermon and we think “How hard is it to learn the books of the Bible?” while forgetting that we too had to search until we became more familiar with the Word. The empathy that we should have for our brothers and sisters in Christ is often lost as we forget what the Lord has done for us and respond – not with compassion and support – but with judgment and a lack of understanding.

We need to always remember how the Lord directed our steps and got us through tough situations so that we can, in turn, help those around us who may be struggling as we once did.

Father, forgive me for judging my brothers and sisters. Help me to remember how you helped me and to be an encourager and not a discourager. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect


Have you ever forgotten what the Lord has done for you in the past and been quick to judge someone?

When you faced the situation they are facing, was there someone who encouraged or discouraged you?

Apply

Reflect on those times in your past when a Christian encouraged you as you struggled with a situation in your life.

Determine to be that same kind of encourager to people around you as you keep your eyes open for opportunities to show the compassion and understanding of Jesus.

Power

Psalm 77:11 (NIV) “I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.”

I Chronicles 16:11-12 (NIV) “Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always. Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced…”

Psalm 78:11 (NIV) “They forgot what he had done, the wonders he had shown them.”

 (For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

 

No comments: