Sunday, August 05, 2007

Gutteridge featured in AP article


One of my favorite interviews during my days as a reporter was with former Chicago White Sox manager Don Gutteridge, one of the few surviving players from the first all-Missouri World Series, played in 1944 between the St. Louis Cardinals and Gutteridge's St. Louis Browns (now the Baltimore Orioles).

Gutteridge, still hanging in there at 95, is featured in an AP article:

"I loved every minute of it. People ask what was my biggest thrill... I got a thrill every time I walked on the field. I've had so many thrills, I couldn't name one. If I named one, I'd have to name 10 or 12 more."

Gutteridge played in two World Series -- 1944 with the Browns and 1946 with Boston. Both teams lost to the Cardinals, the Browns in six games and the Red Sox in seven games.

No comments: