Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Gun-wielding Joplin man who threatened woman in vodka-filled rage pleads guilty to weapons charge

A Joplin man pleaded guilty in federal court in Springfield today to unlawful charge of firearms.

Timothy Scott Reed's plea came as a result of a deal with the federal government dropping a second weapons charge.

Reed has a history of criminal activity going back three decades, according to a motion for a detention hearing filed by the U. S. Attorney.

He was arrested on marijuana possession charges twice in Arizona in 1985 and 1986 and for conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine in 1986 in Virginia.

After relocating to Missouri, Reed had numerous run-ins with the law, including guilty pleas for resisting arrest (twice), marijuana possession, and driving while intoxicated.

The arrest that led to today's guilty plea was detailed in the detention motion:

On November 16, 2015, officers from the Joplin, Missouri Police Department were dispatched to 1131 S. Moffett in Joplin, a location in the Western District of Missouri, for a report of a disturbance with a weapon. 

Upon arrival, officers contacted F.L. and C.T. F.L. stated that Timothy Reed had threatened her by pointing a loaded handgun at her. She said that Reed was currently “passed out drunk” in the living room of her residence with the gun tucked into his waistband. 

At that point, the officers entered the home. Immediately upon entering the home, Officer Costley reported he observed Reed lying on the floor. As Officer Costley approached Reed, he saw a black handgun on the floor partially underneath Reed’s waistline. Reed appeared to be sleeping to Officer Costley. 

Officer Costley secured the weapon and placed Reed in handcuffs. Reed woke up and asked what he was being arrested for. Officer Costley noticed his speech was slurred and the officer smelled the odor of alcohol coming from Reed. 

Officer Costley told Reed he was under arrest for assault and unlawful use of a weapon. Reed stated that the gun did not belong to him and he did not assault anyone. He stated he received the gun earlier that day from a male who told him that he had stolen it from a house down the road. 

Reed said he did not know the male, but described him as a male with a short, military style haircut. Officer Costley spoke with F.L. again, who stated that Reed arrived at the house between 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. that day with the gun in his possession. 

F.L. said that Reed started drinking vodka and continued to drink all afternoon. She said Reed became belligerent around 4:40 p.m. and began making threats towards her. F.L. stated Reed asked her to give him a hug and then took the gun and pointed it at her, “punching” it into her stomach. She said that he made a statement similar to, “You know I wouldn’t hurt either of you, right?” F.L. stated there was a round in the chamber at that time. She said Reed eventually passed out with the gun in his waistband.

Officer Costley spoke with C.T., and she stated she saw Reed point the gun at F.L. while there was a round in the chamber. She stated she was able to get the gun away from Reed at one point and take the round out of the chamber. C.T. said that Reed was able to get the gun back from her, but then he was unable to get the gun loaded again. She stated that, at first, he was unable to get the magazine into the gun. 

After he got the magazine in, he was unable to rack the slide to chamber a round. C.T. stated that eventually Reed passed out with the gun in his waistband. 

Officers from the Joplin, Missouri Police Department confirmed through later investigation that the firearm possessed by Reed was stolen from a residence earlier in the day on November 16, 2015.

Sentencing will be held at a later date.

No comments: