Thursday, January 19, 2017

St. Charles Republican: I voted to ban lobbyist gifts, but I prefer transparency

(From Rep. Chrissy Sommer, R-St. Charles)

Although the weather was a little gloomy all week around the State, it was very robust few days in the Missouri Capitol. First the House approved a ban on Lobbyist Gifts. Although I voted yes on this legislation, I have my concerns on what this may mean in the future since I appreciated the transparency that our current system provided.

Also the House voted to approve Right to Work legislation and have moved it over to the Senate side of the building. This is one piece of legislation that our current Governor and Leadership campaigned on and are moving quickly on their promises.

I also introduced three pieces of legislation this week. The first deals with Gifted Education and requires any district with a state-approved gifted education program to have a process that allows parents or guardians to appeal a determination that their child does not qualify for gifted services. The second deals with exempting sales taxes on delivery charges. And the third exempts present and past military members and law enforcement officers from hunter education and safety training course requirements. I also co-sponsored a number of bills and you can view them by clicking here.

In addition to being busy on the legislative side, I welcomed several groups to the Capitol; the Missouri Society of CPAs and also the Missouri Realtors. Several individuals from the St Charles area, including my husband, stopped by to say hi and chat about their ideas for better Government in Missouri.

As you can see, things are moving quickly this year and I your input is always of value to me. Please stay in touch.

No comments: