Saturday, April 27, 2019

Nancy Hughes: Captured by a camera

“. . . Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to
become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about
the righteous life that God desires.”
James 1:20 (NIV)


“I am so embarrassed,” my friend greeted me as I opened my front door. “I just made a fool of myself today,” she continued. “That’s an everyday occurrence for me,” I smiled, “so just once isn’t too bad.”

But there was no smile in return. She sat down, shook her head and explained what had just happened.

She had gone to the principal’s office at school because the bus driver had reported that her daughter Sara had been jumping over seats while the bus was in motion and was not listening to his repeated requests to sit down.

“I was so angry when I walked in the office and never gave anyone a chance to speak,” she said. “I glared at the principal and the bus driver and told them that Sara would never ever jump over bus seats nor would she disrespect her bus driver by not obeying what he told her to do.”










At this point she put her hands on her head and looked at me: “I followed that with a comment about how awful it was that they would accuse my daughter of doing such a thing and ended by saying that evidently someone was lying.” I took her hand and silently waited as she finished her story.

“As I made that last statement, the principal leaned over and pushed the start button on his DVD player. I watched what the bus camera had recorded. Sara. My daughter. Jumping over bus seats. Ignoring her bus driver’s repeated demands to sit down.” Oh my.

She looked at me as regret and shame poured from her eyes and onto her shirt. “I’m a Christian. A Christian! And today I was a horrible example of Jesus to everyone who heard me at the school.”

Ever been there? Ouch. Me, too. Instead of memorizing today’s Scripture from James 1:20 and putting it into practice every single day, I find myself changing the words around a bit so that it sounds more like this: “I am quick to become angry and speak and slow to listen.”

When my mouth engages without ever consulting my Spirit, I know that, within minutes, regret is going to rise to the surface. Regret for what I said and for my very unchristian behavior. That is why James 1:20 is so important for us all.

We need to remember that as Christians we represent the Creator of the Universe. No matter what we say or do, there will always be someone watching and listening, even if we are never captured by a camera.

Father, for every single situation that I face today, help me to remember that I am an example of your Son no matter where I am. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .


Reflect

Have you ever become angry or frustrated and shared everything that came to your mind without stopping to think what you were saying?

Apply

The next time you face a situation – no matter what the issue – mentally tell your lips that they are super glued together and open your ears to what is being said.

Then picture everyone around you watching and listening to see if you will be a Christian example to them.

Power

James 1:20 (NIV) “. . . Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.”

Proverbs 15:18 (NIV) “Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares.”

Ecclesiastes 7:9 (NIV) “Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.”

(Nancy Hughes' latest book, The Journey Continues: Healing from the Heart, is available at Amazon.com at the link below.)

No comments: