Saturday, April 13, 2019

Memories, including thoughts of Cat Johnson and Price Cutter, included in most visited Turner Report/Inside Joplin posts for the week

When I started working on my book Newton County Memories, my goal was to preserve the people who shaped my life, as I remembered them.

Sadly, many of those people are no longer around.

I collected many of my writings from over the years and added a few essays and published the book in 2018.

I am hoping to do future collections with new writings mixed in, but life has a way of continuing to bring those memories to the forefront, often because of the passing of people who appeared, sometimes briefly, sometimes prominently, came into your orbit.

In three of the 10 most visited Turner Report posts this week, I wrote personalized observations of people and places that have had an impact on my life in one way or another.








I barely knew Cat Johnson, but my memories of watching him play in a tournament final at Neosho High School more than 40 years ago remain vivid. I shared my memories of Mr. Johnson, just as I am sure many of you did.

I also addressed the impending closing of the Price Cutter grocery store on Maiden Lane. The store has only been in Joplin for 17 years, but that 17 years covers the entire time I have lived here.

When the May 22, 2011 tornado destroyed Dillon's, never to return, and the 15th Street Wal-Mart, I found Price Cutter a preferable alternative to the 7th Street Wal-Mart. When I wrote about the announcement of Price Cutter's closing, I was also writing about the demise of so many grocery stores and other stores that have played such an important role in our lives, including Dillon's.

***
Newton County Memories is available at Changing Hands Book Shoppe and Always Buying Books in Joplin, Pat's Books in Carthage and Granby Auto Supply and Hardware in Granby, as well in paperback and e-book formats at Amazon.com at the links below.



Crowder College Authors Fair

I had a great time last week at Always Buying Books during the first signing for Lost Angels: The Murders of Rowan Ford and Doug Ringler.

My next event will be two weeks from today, Saturday, April 27, when I speak at the annual Authors Fair at Crowder College in Neosho.

My presentation, which will include a reading from Lost Angels, is scheduled at 10:30 a.m. Other authors will talk about their books and about the writing process itself.

The event lasts from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and I will be signing books during those hours, except during my presentation.

Copies of Lost Angels, Newton County Memories, my Joplin Tornado books and my other non-fiction books and novels will be available.

In the coming days, I will be writing more about the event and the other authors who are scheduled to participate.

The top posts for this week on the Turner Report, Inside Joplin and Inside Joplin Obituaries are listed below the Amazon ads.

***
Lost Angels: The Murders of Rowan Ford and Doug Ringler is available at Always Buying Books and Changing Hands Book Shoppe in Joplin, Pat's Books in Carthage and Granby Auto Supply and Hardware in Granby and is available in both paperback and e-book formats at Amazon.com at the links below.



The Turner Report

1. Probable cause: Carthage man held woman captive for a month, forced her to inject herself with methamphetamine

2. Diamond police officer who exposed speed trap: I'm going to stand for what's right even if costs my job

3. Lawsuit claim: Former Diamond superintendent ignored warnings, allowed middle school girl to be molested for two years

4. Remembering Cat Johnson

5. I love a good grocery store as much as the next guy, but you can never have too many megachurches

6. Arrest of alleged meth dealers caused lockdown at Ozark Christian Academy in Neosho

7. Jasper 17-year-old facing four counts of statutory rape free after posting $100,000 surety bond

8. Price Cutter in Joplin closing

9.. Home searched by FBI, local law enforcement in Sarah Burton case has Joplin Honkies connection

10. No more guilt trips for me: I am a writer, this is how I make my living and I'm proud of it

***

If you like the information you receive daily on the Turner Report, Inside Joplin and Inside Joplin Obituaries, consider taking a subscription or making a contribution at the PayPal buttons below.

Those who prefer not to use PayPal or a credit card, can send your contribution to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt. A, Joplin MO 64801. Thanks.


Payment options
Inside Joplin

1. Joplin Police searching for missing woman

2. Late night stabbing in Baxter Springs leads to two arrests, meth seizure

3. Joplin Police Department Arrests April 8-9

4. Joplin Police Department Arrests April 10-11

5. Sarcoxie traffic stop leads to arrest of Carthage man on meth charge

6. Neosho woman killed in crash on Mink Drive

7. Jasper County Sheriff: Do you know this shoplifting suspect?

8. Jasper County Dissolution of Marriage Petitions

9. Jasper County Sheriff's Office Arrests

10. Joplin Police Department Arrests April 11-12








Inside Joplin Obituaries

1. Cat Johnson

2. Angie Atkinson

3. Tracy Stidham

4. Mary Ann Coy

5. Glenn Conway

6. Larry Fausett

7. Randy Land

8. Sharon Daniels

9. Larry Fullerton

10. Evelyn Wilcox

No comments: