Sunday, April 07, 2019

Diamond police officer who exposed speed trap: I'm going to stand for what's right even if it costs me my job

In an interview with KY3 posted Saturday, Diamond police officer Christopher Hutson said he was the one who exposed the Police Department's speed trap operation to the attorney general.

The attorney general's office filed a lawsuit against the Diamond Police Department Friday in Newton County Circuit Court asking that temporary and permanent injunctions be ordered to prevent Police Chief Michael Jones and the department from requiring ticket quotas to boost the city's finances.

Hutson said he took his evidence to Diamond Mayor Brenda Schmitt, who told the City Council, but nothing was done about the stiuation. That's when he took his information to the attorney general.







From the KY3 report:
Hutson says despite the fact that coming forward might cost him his job, he says he did it for his community.
"I feel like we are not properly serving the community of Diamond if we are putting quotas on tickets because that betrays their trust and my moral and ethics would not allow me to keep quiet about it," said Officer Hutson. "I am going to stand for what's right even if I have to stand alone, and if that costs me my job then so be it, wrong is wrong."

Whistleblower to A. G. Office- Diamond Police Chief more interested in writing traffic tickets than conducting drug investigations

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, for having solid ethics and morals. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds more like a disgruntled employee looking for Payback more than likely wasn't doing his job and got in trouble

pat said...

I guess I don't get it !!! If you are not speeding, you sonT get stopped. Pissed off Cop, for some reason, Payback. The Harm that has been done to the City of Diamond, the people in it & the local police is totally wrong

Anonymous said...

The problem is quotas are a violation of Missouri law. If you believe people aren't stopped just to increase financial numbers, well ok. I know different.

Anonymous said...

Yep!

Anonymous said...

The mayor is into all sorts of illegal activities. She ordered this two years ago and twice tried to fire the police chief for not complying. I guess she finally convinced him. I hope the state takes a closer look. This is small compared to what else they will find on Brenda Schmitt.

Anonymous said...

He is still employed.
Glad he reported this.
It is against the law, and officers have a duty to uphold the law.

Anonymous said...

The Dimond Police Department was breaking the law. I support law enforcement, but they also have to live up to our laws as well.