Saturday, April 20, 2019

I ran an obituary of a man who wasn't dead plus this week's top 10 Turner Report/Inside Joplin posts

I have told this story before, but it holds a special significance this week.

In 1979, while working as the editor of the Lockwood Luminary-Golden City Herald, I covered a press conference at Lamar Fair bandstand to hear a former Golden City resident announcing his bid for president of the United States.

That bid did not go far, but it made for an amusing story.

While I was working at the Newton County News, a few years later, I was saddened to learn of the man's death, reading about it in the Joplin Globe.

Several months later, working as the managing editor at the Lamar Democrat, I saw that same man walking out of a Lamar bar. The reports of James R. Montgomery's death had been greatly exaggerated.

I don't tell this story because it's Easter and Mr. Montgomery was miraculously resurrected. I do so because Montgomery's obituary appeared in other area newspapers, including the Carthage Press and the Democrat.








Obviously, Montgomery never died and, in fact, as I discovered, wrote his obituary in the same bar I saw him leaving.

After that, newspapers, never expecting to have anyone pull such a stunt, began taking extra measures to make sure obituaries were legitimate.

I followed the same prescription when I launched Inside Joplin Obituaries in 2013.

I receive the obituaries from funeral homes to ensure their authenticity.

Until I screwed up earlier this week.








I received a Joplin man's obituary from a funeral home and shortly after that, the same funeral home sent a photo of the man. Though basic information was provided about the man, his age, his occupation, the obituary did not include any information about services, only saying that the family asked that we respect their privacy.

At that point, I did not think anything of it, even e-mailing a thank you to the funeral home.

It was not long after that, I was contacted by a concerned family member. She checked and no one had heard anything about the man's passing.

I called the number that had been left for the funeral home and there was no answer.

At that point, I removed the obituary from Inside Joplin Obituaries.

I performed a Google search for the out-of-state funeral home and did not come across any funeral home with that name.

The family member indicated to me something similar had happened in the past.

In the past, I have made it a practice to check out the websites of funeral homes that are outside this area before I run the obituary. I obviously erred in not doing so this time.

Obituaries will not run unless the death has been verified. I made a mistake by not following my normal procedures and policy.

I am sorry for my mistake and regret any harm it may have caused for the family.








Crowder Authors Fair

A reminder that I will be speaking about my book Lost Angels: The Murders of Rowan Ford an Doug Ringler at the Crowder Authors Fair a week from today, Saturday, April 27.

I will be among 40 authors, including Nancy Hughes, whose column appears weekly on the Turner Report who will be there from 9:30 to 2 p.m. While all authors will be in one area, some will leave from time to time to go to different rooms where presentations will be given about the books and about writing. I am scheduled to speak from 10:30 to 10:50 a.m.

People will be talking about the writing craft, doing readings from books and many of the authors, including me, will have copies of their books available.

***
Lost Angels: The Murders of Rowan Ford and Doug Ringler is available at Always Buying Books and Changing Hands Book Shoppe in Joplin, Pat's Books in Carthage and Granby Auto Supply and Hardware in Granby, and in paperback and e-book formats from the Amazon links below.



***
The listing of top 10 posts for the Turner Report, Inside Joplin and Inside Joplin Obituaries for the past week and links to those posts are featured below:

The Turner Report

1. I am sorry; I was wrong

2. Judge reduces bond for Carthage man accused of statutory sodomy

3. FEC report shows more than half of Billy Long's individual contributors were lobbyists

4. Trial date delayed for Joplin doctor charged with statutory rape, statutory sodomy

5. Life in prison for child molester

6. Joplin R-8 expected to approve spending bargain $27,500 to send 65 teachers, principals to Eureka Math workshop

7. Joplin R-8 Board hires 16 teachers, accepts three resignations

8. Sex offender with 25-year record of abusing children pleads guilty in federal courts

9. Lawsuit claim: Former Diamond superintendent ignored warnings, allowed middle school girl to be molested for two years

10. Carthage R-9 Board hires 12 teachers, accepts five resignations

***

Like what you're reading on the Turner Report/Inside Joplin blogs? Consider making a contribution of any amount at the PayPal link below or send your contribution to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt. A, Joplin MO 64801




***
Inside Joplin

1. Joplin husband, wife admitted to Freeman with gunshot wounds following domestic dispute

2. Joplin Police Department Weekend Arrests

3. Carterville man arrested on Webb City, Jasper County, Newton County warrants following motorcycle, foot chase

4, Crowder College nursing students pay unpaid lunch balances for McDonald County students

5. Carl Junction man killed in motorcycle accident on I-49

6. Jasper County Dissolution of Marriage Petitions

7. Joplin Police Department Arrests April 17-18

8. Carthage Police Department needs help identifying these people

9. Jasper County Sheriff's Office Arrests

10. Joplin Police Department Arrests April 15-16

Inside Joplin Obituaries

1. Rachel Collier

2. Melissa Smith

3. Erick McDonough

4. Lucian Pennington

5. Jan Goswick

6. Leim Massey

7. Dave Arwood

8. Pam Sells

9. Dick Granger

10, Bob Steere

No comments: